Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Eli Loshbough from Crossville, Tennessee!

What first got you interested in playing the guitar, mandolin or banjo?
When I was around 5 years old, my mom had a huge stereo system in our living room and the speakers were as tall as I was lol. She was a stay at home mom and while my dad was at work she would be jamming out to all kinds of different genres of music. Literally she would go from listening to Kid Rock and Uncle Cracker and then change to ZZ Top, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and AC/DC. Then she’d switch to Hank Williams Jr, Travis Tritt, and Alan Jackson. I was home from school one day and she put in a CD from the “Oh Brother Where Art Thou” movie and I remember when “Man of Constant Sorrow” came on and I had to stop what I was doing and just listen. I told my mom to play that song again 5 times.

I fell in love with that kind of music but didn’t pick up a banjo until I was 16 years old. A guy that was in Spanish class with me in high school brought a banjo in the class because he had a competition for FFA later that day. When we got our assignment done I asked him if he would get the banjo out and play a song for us, so he did and after he got done, I knew for sure I wanted to get a banjo and learn to play. I was so determined I actually bought a banjo that same night and I took off from there!!

How long have you been playing and what’s your motivation to play?
It’s been 11 years now. My grandpa played guitar and he was the first person I ever played with in front of people and I cherished every time I got to play with him. Before he passed away, I went to see him in the hospital and when he looked at me, he lifted his fingers like he was playing a banjo and told me “never give it up”

What’s your goal when playing?
I try to have great timing and get the best tone I can get out of my banjo.

Do you have a favorite technique? What is it?
Almost everything Earl and JD did.

Are there any other instruments or genres of music that you enjoy playing?
I play a little guitar and bass. With guitar I usually play Country Music.

How long have you been a Gold Pick member?
Oh lord, I want to say it was around 2013. I remember the lifetime membership cost a little over $200 at the time lol.

What’s your favorite lesson on Ben’s site and how has it helped you improve?
I really loved Ben’s lesson on how to improvise. For years I never understood how people could improvise on the fly, but Ben answered that question for me that I’d been searching for so long.

What artist(s) most inspire you? Who are your favorite musical heroes?
That is a tough question because I love so many people. If I had to pick my top 5 they would be: Earl Scruggs, JD Crowe, Jimmy Martin, Johnny Cash, and Hank Williams Jr.

If you could play in anyone’s band, who would it be and why?
I would pick Jimmy Martin because I love the drive his band had.

If money were no object, what would be your dream instrument(s)?
I would pick a Gibson prewar mastertone.

What do you do for a living?
I work for the Tennessee Department of Transportation maintaining all of our Tennessee state routes and interstates.

When you’re not pickin’, what else do you spend your time doing?
There’s a lot of off road trails close to where I live so I like to ride around on my side by side and enjoy the nature.

If you didn’t have to sleep, what would you do with the extra time?
I would be playing more banjo so my neighbors can pull their hair out a little more lol.

What would be the most amazing adventure to go on?
I would love to go to Montana one day.

Anything else you’d like to add?
This goes for anyone thinking about going to one of Ben’s cabin camps. I have been to 3 myself and don’t be nervous because he and his staff will absolutely take care of you and not make you feel dumb. Everyone there is so encouraging and just makes you feel at home. I think all the veterans that have been there will tell you the exact same thing.

Thanks for letting us feature you @eliloshbough!

15 Likes

Thanks for sharing your story with us @eliloshbough! It’s nice to meet you!

2 Likes

Congrats Eli! What a great memory of your grandpa. I’m sure he’s proud.

3 Likes

gif Eli on being selected as this month’s Gold Pick Member

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing your story @eliloshbough!

3 Likes

Nice getting to know you! You have fellow BB student pretty close to where you are. @Oldhat2 is in the area. I have family there as well, but not pickers.

5 Likes

You’re the man Eli congrats!

3 Likes

Thank you @Michael_Mark for asking me to be a part of this.

2 Likes

I’m just North of ya in Fairfield Glade. Have guitar, will work for golf balls!

2 Likes

@Oldhat2 that’s awesome, I’m way on the south end of the county

2 Likes

Eli, you are one fine picker! It was a pleasure being in your band at the Nashville cabin camp!
Dean

2 Likes

@Deano1 it’s great to hear from you again, hope you’re doing well. It was a lot of fun getting to play with you at cabin camp.

2 Likes