Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Electronics for Guitar

Guilty as charged for at least one… I do Amazing Grace in both 3 and 4 (but not at the same time).

1 Like

I resemble that remark

And now we know the rest of the story!

The frst time I arranged amazing grace for fingerstyle guitar and harmonica, I did it in four cuz I didn’t know the song was supposed to be three :joy: my mom later corrected my timing and I had to rearrange it, which I managed :sunglasses:

Here’s the versions I can think of that I have done:
Hymn and close variations: 3
Harmonica and guitar: 3
“My chains are gone” version: 4
A rocking kind of version (Was by pastor’s request for a particular sermon series. It worked!): 4
Fingerstyle dirge version for a funeral: 4

Oddly (sadly, whatever) I have done it more wrong than right.

I have heard people start it (seemingly unaware) in 4 and change to 3 to keep up with the congregation.

Have y’all ever heard Amazing Grace to the tune of House of the Rising Sun?

1 Like

Yes, I have heard that. It’s funny though, you never hear it the other way around (House of the Rising Sun played to Amazing Grace… and that’s probably a good thing).

Yeah if it was up to me I would not install electronics either. I’m just lucky they let me play at church, so if it makes life easier for everyone concerning feedback from mics then I’m ok with installing the pickup. As long as it doesent hurt the acoustic unplugged sound…

Seriously, thank God for volunteers! Where would we be without them? I sure don’t know anything about sound, so y’all are all dynamite to me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I had never heard that but just googled it. Grass or not, that’s pretty catchy! That would get some chatter going from the older folks at church!

I had not. I’ll have to check it out. However, it was a tradition for a while that our caroling group would sing “o little town of Bethlehem” to the tune of HOTRS when moving from one house to another. It works amazingly well.

1 Like

I haven’t but I have noticed that amazing grace can be sung to (almost) any tune, Also (again, almost) any song can be sung to the tune of Gilligan’s island theme :smile:

2 Likes

Oh great! Amazing Grace to Gilligan’s Island tune… that’s gonna be stuck in my head all day. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I checked with our sound guy today and we both agree that it is best to go ahead and install a pickup. It really makes more sense in this setting. Will installing a pickup hurt my acoustic unplugged sound any? If it’s easier for me to get a pickup installed after I get the guitar then let’s do that. I’m not trying to complicate anything. It appears y’all are sold out of the E8D’s right now so there’s no need to worry about any of it right now.

We have more E8D geetars coming soon, perhaps this week! No, the installation will not affect your acoustic sound.

It was a lame joke. I was poking fun of the folks who complain about something not being bluegrass, and combining them with the church folks that act the same way. Never mind.

Awesome! I can’t wait :sunglasses:

I didn’t know it, but reading this was a curse. This morning I’m drying my son off after his bath, and I’m like:

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound… E I E I Ooooo.
I once was lost but now I’m found… E I E I Oooooo.

Later on, the tune switched over to Sweet Child of Mine.

UGH!

3 Likes

I enjoyed it, but I am easy to please.

Then it was worth it!

2 Likes

I’m very sorry to hear that… but I’m laughing my head off that’s hilarious :joy:

1 Like