Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Electric mandolin?

I have to buy an electric mandolin.
In your opinion, which F-shaped electric mandolin is the best?

1. Ortega RMFE100AVO
  2. Eastman with amplification mounted by them?
  3. EPIPHONE MM 50E PROFESSIONAL VINTAGE NATURAL
  4. Godin A8?
  5. Or something else?

Thank you

I added K&K transducers to a flat-top A (Red Valley). I run it through a ToneDexter for processing, and I like the sound of it. It sounds pretty much like a mandolin with no quack. The downsides are that it is a little prone to feedback with loud stage volumes and it also picks up rubbing noises on the body (like the back of the mando on my shirt). The feedback is manageable with the notch filter on the tonedexter. It is a nice little setup for when playing with a bigger/louder band. That said, I much prefer micing for bluegrass, plugging in is just too up front sounding for grass.

Of the instruments you mentioned, the only one I have played is the Eastman, and I think they are great. My recommendation is to find the mandolin that you like the way it plays and sounds, and then figure out the transducers. Try the system out if possible before buying. Years ago I had an Ovation Applause mandolin with factory electronics. It was great for the money but it wasn’t real usable plugged in. It was pretty harsh.

2 Likes

@lureveru I have seen Tristan Scroggins playing on an Eastwood Guitars electric mandolin. I have never seen an Eastwood mandolin in person much less played/touched one. I can’t really give them any endorsement but you could check out Eastwood Guitars and check out the Mandolin section, I’m sure there is some reviews on youtube or somewhere online. If I knew more about them, I would let you know.

Keep us posted on what you decided on, and electric mandolin has been a “sometime in the future” instrument for me but definitely not in the near future.