Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Eight Year Anniversary

Eight years ago this month I walked into this little paint store over on the Oregon Coast and seen a real banjo in real life, for the very first time in my life! I even got to hold it and put on some finger picks! Last week my Wife and I (Our 28th year anniversary) took a trip back over there and seen my ole friend that got me started, did a quick little impromptu of “Home Sweet Home”. We’ve never played it together before, and he was very patient with me. Sure was fun! So glad I walked in to buy some paint that day!

Butch B.

9 Likes

Awesome!

1 Like

Wow Butch, look at you buddy. Man, you’ve come a long way. That’s really special. Had you seen him since that first encounter?

1 Like

Wow! What a great post!

1 Like

What Mike said!

1 Like

Wow! What a cool story! I kinda like the “stereo” effect, too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here in Ohio, our paint stores are boring… they sell paint! I want to go to the paint stores where you live!

Thanks for sharing!

J.W.

1 Like

Thanks Maggie! Oh yes, I’ve seen him since that first day. I immediately ordered a $100.00 banjo from Amazon and would stop in to see him every couple months or so and he 'd help me out with Cripple Creek and such. We never really had more than 10-15 minutes together because he owned and operated the store himself. (customers). I’d try to pick rainy days to see him ha). He seen I was liking it, suggested a higher quality banjo. He had four at the time so he sold me his Maple Blossom. I continued stopping in time to time until we moved from there 5 years ago.

Great acoustics in the back of that paint shop!

1 Like

That is so cool! I wish I had a story that interesting. The first time I ever got up close and personal with a banjo was at a Fourth of July party where my friend had one. I promptly got discouraged but later decided to go again with my own banjo.

1 Like

Fun story! Wonderful that you have some video to help cement the experiences. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like