Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Easter Song

WillCoop,
Awesome! Yes, I like the 4/4. Which do you like better?
Yeah, I think my biggest weakness is timing.
I’m not sure what the next step is either… I played till my hands hurt with that last video trying to get the timing down!

I do like to go down, but I did notice it was more repetitive like you said. I can try the other, and slow down, and fix the timing…

My brother only got a chance to glance at them and listen to one of my videos. He’s been pretty busy with online college and work. But I’m gonna keep bugging him about it.:smile: I think he could really help me with the timing, he’s real good with music. Just not a string guy, he loves his piano and singing.

2 Likes

Well, I like both versions… and the playing was really clean - evident of the work you put in. I heard the way you put in the Dsus4 and the D7… Oh… and the E-minor sounds great too.

The voice inflection you put on the word when you sing “Die”… THAT is what I like but cannot easily write in… :facepunch:

@Grace, I appreciate your efforts so much… but please don’t push too hard and hurt your hands playing too much, OK? We have time :+1:

For the timing… I can tell you the first two chord you start out perfect for the first 2 chords… but you are waiting 2 extra beats to come in on the “His message”. The same thing happens on the next lines. I think it is the “pick-up” notes that are throwing you off…

I really like the way you went up at the end! FANTASTIC!

I think I will try to work on matching your style and send another rhythm.

I will look into TEF too.

It is times like these I wish I played better and had a better way to record! :pensive:

2 Likes

Yes sir, :sweat_smile: Wasn’t too bad. I know a guy who played till his fingers bled, don’t worry , I won’t do that. I also had finished school and couldn’t think of much else to do, except I did draw a dog.:laughing:

Thank you! It’s nice to have some direction in the correction instead of just knowing it’s off!:grin:
Glad you like the ending, wasn’t sure about it, but wanted more of the emphasis we talked about.

Maybe I could record one of the melody and see if I can figure it out, then you could take it and fix the timing…:sweat_smile:

4 Likes

@grace,

I will work with whatever you send! Also, I just realized my TabEdit was an older version so I updated.

I don’t know if the software in demo mode will let me write my own… but I will try…

@Grace, I am sure that you like Bluegrass music because you’re on the site. Logical, right? :banjo

That said, I am interested to know if you listen to other stuff too… Maybe Folk or Indie or even some Christian modern music? Do you sing at Church? Care to share some artists or singers you like?

I am asking because of the stylings of your voice.

3 Likes

Great job on the song! (In the OP)

Oh, um nope. I’m a semi accomplished tune writer, but I’m not good with lyrics. I’m working on getting better but I’m not good enough to be much help. If you want to hear an idea that you have played/sung I can do that, you’ll just have to tell me what you want

5 Likes

WillCoop,
Yep, I love bluegrass. :wink: I do often sing at our church. Other music… Here’s a few groups I like, some of these you might consider bluegrass, others maybe more on the gospel music side, I don’ care for CCM though.
Rochesters, The Bishops, Greater Vision, Hyles-Anderson College, New Found Road.

Here’s one of my favorite of the Rochesters.

Bishops

Hyles-Anderson
4 Likes

Also, what does indie mean?..

1 Like

@Grace,

You may get a little laugh out of the definition. Indie is a term used for INDEPENDENT - a kinda vague title, yes? However, that is exactly the point.

I think it first got this name because many artists were not sign by the “big record companies” so they chose to sign with small, independent labels instead. I think this can encompass many artists in Christian Contemporary, for example.

Indie artists are artists who are really good but for one reason or another, fall outside the mainstream genres of music. It may be a style or genre difference. It might be a type of music that is newer (and thus, is not yet “popular”… too risky for a big company). Sometimes bigger names can move to independent labels so they can gain artistic freedom… to do an album or project that a big company isn’t interested to support.

Oh my gosh, when the Rochesters’ song started, I thought the lead sounded very much like you - @Grace! To be clear, there is are on or more other females who sing on this right, but the others had a different sound. The lead singer though… It made sense to me how this could be an influence of yours.

I am glad you shared these with me. I didn’t know these artists so you have taught me - Thank you!

The Hyles-Anderson harmonies were spectacular.

Have you heard Control by Tenth Avenue North? I know it is a different style - more rock style - but this song has spoke to me of late.

2 Likes

Interesting… When you said indie, I had no idea what you meant.:sweat_smile:
Glad I could share! I do love the Rochesters! I probably listen to them the most.
I’ve never heard Control, or of Tenth Avenue North. The song has a good meaning! Though I do prefer more natural voice instead of the extra voice effects they use. When it says " the king of heaven wants me" it kinda reminds me of a song my brother wrote called He Wants Me.

3 Likes

It may sound crazy but I think I can tell from the vocals in “Step of Faith”.

So… I put in Rochester into Spotify and didn’t find this album… because it was listed under “Rochester/Mathews Tradition”. I have seen Spotify do this before with “Marty Stuart” as it is different than “Marty Stuart and the Fabulous Superlatives”. The poor guy’s catalog is split so you have to really know what you are searching.

I went to see Marty here in Michigan and actually… my wife and I met him after the show and I got a picture with him! Anyway, I was looking for his latest album entitled, “Old West” under Marty Stuart and it wouldn’t appear even as many albums were there.

I thought, it isn’t possible, so I searched by the album name only… and that is when I discovered that it was under “Marty Stuart and the Fabulous Superlatives”.

Anyway, I downloaded the album. :wink: Assuming you like Rochester (on their own) is there a favorite album you would recommend?

As for control, yes… definitely a different sound! I just like the song message… as it has been the story of me for most of my life that I tried to do things my way… by sometimes going after what I thought was good.

That all began changing 2 years ago - when I heard this song for the first time, by the way. So… The idea of letting go in surrender is a wonderful and liberating idea. :wink:

Hey, I was able to start crafting the song on TabEdit! It is slow because I am learning as I go. :pensive:

I honestly wonder if it night have been quicker to write it long-hand in manuscript… but I know I would be too hard on myself and take much longer to make it look decent! :pensive:

Anyway, I don’t know if there are easy ways to add the chords and/or to put words into the music yet.

3 Likes

@WillCoop you like CCM? I play a lot of that, at home and at church. Who are your favorite artists?

@D_HRRFan7303 Speaking of CCM, my good friend, John Steed, was recognized by the Christian Country Music Association for his music. In 1999 he won the New Artist of the Year award. In 2000 and 2001 he also won the Male Vocalist of the Year awards. Other awards included Song Writer of the Year and a #1 single in the gospel music charts. Here is one of John’s latest projects.

2 Likes

Wow, this John Steed is really good. I don’t know too much about country and Bluegrass crossover to CCM. Admittedly, Bluegrass has a always had a deep connection to Spirituals.

This is one reason why I am proud of this - the first song I have tried to write in a bluegrass style - with considerable support from @Grace and @Michael_Mark is a praise song.

I do like some CCM… and some of what I like is quite old - I’m embarrassed to say.

First off, I love the music from our church. I wish I could share it… but admittedly, it is more rock… and so very uplifting. That said, one of the last live services actually had a MANDOLINIST perform - and no, definitely NOT me :joy::joy::joy:!

Artists I have heard I like: The Choir (known as Youth Choir originally), Tenth Avenue North (as I said), Steve Taylor, Flock 14, Taylor Tripodi

Have you heard “The Afters”, Leeland" or “Sanctus Real”? They all sound good too - but more modern rock style.

Please share more… @D_HRRFan7303 for some of your favorites…

1 Like

I also like some Tenth Avenue North and Sanctus Real. Some of my favorites are Casting Crowns, Crowder (his music is often influenced by bluegrass), Zach Williams, and Rend Collective.

1 Like

Thanks @D_HRRFan7303,

I want to delve more into this!

1 Like

BTW I frequently use my banjo and mandolin playing at my church along with acoustic and electric guitar. Not for bluegrass, but it’s fun to play different styles on them once and a while.

2 Likes

WillCoop,
Still need to work on the timing, but I tried going up instead of down on "Clarion Call’ like you said, I think I like it better. It seems to soften the song slightly. Which do you like better?

7 Likes

Great job @Grace.

I have created a TablEdit (TEF) file that I will try to send you soon. Y thought is that might smooth out the timing to help. :+1:

Congrats on another fine performance. :grinning:

I needed to hear this today!

3 Likes

Hi @Grace,

I have made a lot of progress on the .TEF file.

I might have something to send your tomorrow - complete with Guitar rhythm track.

I hope you and your family are doing well. Stay safe and healthy!

3 Likes

Wow William, all I can say is … Amen brother.

2 Likes