Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

E.M.D. (David Grisman Quintet Cover)

The composition that starts off the DGQ’s incomparable 1977 release.
Next time I try this I am resolved to choose a larger filming space. :joy:

12 Likes

ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS!!! :grin::+1::fire::fire::fire:
“Filming Space,” “outtakes” and all…
Awesome job!!

3 Likes

Aw thanks!!

2 Likes

That is so cool! I’ve always wanted to do that type of recording.

1 Like

Nice job…it sounded and looked fantastic!

2 Likes

Outstanding in every way!

3 Likes

Phenomenal. You have always had impressive chops, but you are getting really musical with those chops. It’s official… you are dangerous! (in a good way :facepunch: :grinning:)

I think there was an accutron spaceview sighting.

2 Likes

Wow, thanks Mike! I am honored to hear you think so… although I considered these solos to sound like “button mashing of the highest degree” :confounded: :joy:

Indeed! It’s a 1968. I’ve had it about a year and felt it increased “Rice Factor” by at least 15%.

7 Likes

Very impressive. I wear a cellular Apple Watch as does Jake.

6 Likes

kids these days…

4 Likes

I wear a Timex digital watch, but I might have to upgrade to one like that.(or a guitar/ mandolin/banjo watch).:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Same watch as Jake? :frowning::flushed:

4 Likes

@Zachary I’ve heard you can find the occasional Accutron around at estate sales, etc.!

John Hartford and Tony Rice essentially made the Spaceview “the watch of bluegrass”. Tony became one of the world’s foremost experts on the Accutron – many who interacted with him on forums didn’t even know he played guitar. :joy:

I recall this article being very interesting to read:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/tony-rices-hands-how-the-bulova-accutron-spaceview-became-the-watch-of-bluegrass

3 Likes

I thought maybe I was wrong so listened again. Took me about 40 seconds into it. Nope, I think you are wrong :grinning:. You are getting really musical. Just listen to the opening mando break’s first few lines… sounds really vocal-ish to me. Some notes are a poppy stacatto, others smooth legato. And all this is by design. You are also very dynamic. Button mashing is impressive to a point, but when you can play fast AND musical… that’s next level. I suspect what may be happening is that your expressiveness is coming directly from heart to hands and you don’t even realize how musical you are.

By the way, that was all intended as a compliment.:crazy_face:

5 Likes

Good article and also timely since it briefly mentions Terry Baucom. Is this why there is also a Rubic’s cube in the video?

1 Like

Haha yep, I thought it would be a cool detail!