Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

E/G# chord on a mandolin

How would a chord that is written on the tab as E/G# in a song be played?

4 Likes

Hi Amy welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum. The TAB that you speak of is it one of Ben’s Lessons ? If so could you tell us which lesson so we might better assist you.

3 Likes

Banjo player but wanted to say welcome to the forum. It’s a friendly place to be :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Hi. Thanks for the welcome. It is in the song Cherokee shuffle, mandolin key of A

3 Likes

Hi. Thanks for the welcome.

3 Likes

Hi Amy, so that is a split measure the first part is over E and the second half G# Ben uses a hammer on to make the transition, Fret the string at the second fret pick it and then hammer on at the forth fret. If you watch the video carefully Ben explains this at measure 4. Hope this helps

4 Likes

I believe Archie is correct.

In the case of this piece the E/G# refers to “two beats per chord” in that measure.

5 Likes

@Annie_Simms,

I stand corrected.

Disregard my explanation. I deleted it to avoid confusion… but it will take 24 hours to update

Thank you for clarifying @Archie & @Fiddle_wood! :+1:

Was just trying to help… :pensive:

2 Likes

Will,

You had a good explanation of and were correct on what it could have meant in another circumstance. Could have just left that post there.

If you’ll notice, my post says “in this case” meaning both answers could have been correct, but in this case…I only found out which one I thought was correct for the question when I checked the TAB.

Dave

6 Likes

Thanks Dave!

Tru Dat… I didn’t check the tab!

But at least I figured out a new (to me) chord position for E Major - indirectly through my attempt.

Always learning… Not just in the chord but to not be too quick to answer without consideration :thinking: for the WHOLE situation. :+1:

I appreciate the comment about not deleting but now, there would be absolutely no confusion on Amy’s part: One Answer and one confirmation of the answer!

4 Likes

@Annie_Simms You could play that chord on mandolin, but that chord name was written b/c that’s what the guitar/bass is playing. I’m capo’d 2 on the guitar, so I’m physically fretting a D/F#, which is just a D chord with the thumb over the top fretting the 2nd fret on the lowest string. When you capo up 2, that chord changes to an E/G# (one whole step higher). Great question, but I wouldn’t worry about trying to play that on mandolin. A regular E chord, however you want to play it, will work just fine :wink:

3 Likes

Welcome @Annie_Simms!!
Thanx for asking that cause the answer helps me out too! I’d been having quite an “interesting” time trying to play an E, G# :grin:…

2 Likes

@Annie_Simms I also wondered how to play that chord. I find playing rhythm terribly frustrating compared to the solo parts, mainly because of 4 finger chord progressions at a speedy transitions required by most bluegrass players.

3 Likes

haha…see…now I stand corrected.

3 Likes

I guess nobody corners the market when it comes to learnin’ @Fiddle_wood :wink:

2 Likes