Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Dunlop semi round pick

The Dunlop Primetones are very good picks (I have a few myself), but I donā€™t think thereā€™s anything better than a Blue Chip, not even real turtle (IMO).

After having owned a few Blue Chips, it kinda took the fun out of trying new and different picksā€¦ Nothing else compares. Yes, theyā€™re way overpriced, but youā€™ll easily burn up $35.00 worth of gas in a week, or two people can eat a meal for $35.00 and itā€™s gone in a few minutes.

At least youā€™ll have the Blue Chip foreverā€¦ as long as you donā€™t lose itā€¦ or it gets stolenā€¦ or you loan it to somebody and they never return itā€¦or it gets run over by a Trackhoeā€¦ or Dinosaurs return, force their way into your house, find your BC and eat itā€¦ orā€¦ OK, the Trackhoe thing might have been a little far fetchedā€¦ sorry.

Try em both, I donā€™t think you can go wrong either way.

J.W.

4 Likes

okā€¦ so whats the best BlueChip pick to go for for Mandoā€¦

We donā€™t have the option in the UK to try them out so need good advice on which would be the best choice

Thanks

I would special order one with different tips. Definitely get a triangle pick. They come in three sizes The TAD is the largest triangle (which I think is way too big), the TP is their standard size and then the STP is their small triangle pick. This is the one I use for guitar but for mandolin for some reason I like the TP size better.

Soā€¦ my advice would be a TP-50 or 55 with one speed bevel, a straight (non bevel) and then a rounded corner. That way you have everything in one pick. (Three different tips). The numbers are the thickness. A 50 is approx 1.25mm and a 55 is about 1.4mm. A 60 would be 1.5mm and you can also get a 48 now which is 1.22mm. I would like to try a 48 for guitar. For mandolin, I would stay with at least a 50.

The CT-55 is good, I just donā€™t like the size and having only one point on all three corners. (You may want the large size). So I would special order a TP-55 with the three different corners I mentioned above. Since youā€™re special ordering, you can also do engraving on the back. I usually do a Bible verse, you can do whatever you want or no engraving at all.

I think youā€™ll be happy with a 55 for mandolin. If youā€™re going back and forth between guitar and mandolin, Iā€™d go with a 50ā€¦ 55 is a little dark for guitar, but 50 still sounds good with mandolin.

Keep in mind, this is what Iā€™ve found works for me after trying 5 or 6 different Blue Chips. If you donā€™t like whatever you order, they sell almost instantly for about 30.00 on Mandolin Cafe or someone here on the Forum would be glad to buy it. That way youā€™re not out too much $.

Hope this helpsā€¦ Let us know what you decide.

J.W.

1 Like

Hi @jw11

Thanks for the detailed answer it is most usefull and ive been looking at the TP-50, which is wierd but im not sure here in the UK you can get the custom madeā€¦

We can get them but i think they are as isā€¦

Thanks

we can get TAD-50 1R here in the uk

https://www.jp-guitars.co.uk/sales/strings_and_picks/blue_chip/tad50-1r.htm

Thatā€™s a great pick, and I use the 40 in the same modelā€¦I do back and forth between that and the CT55.

1 Like

Iā€™ve just got some of the Prime Tone Large 1.44 and they feel and play well but canā€™t compare to a Blue Chip as I donā€™t have one

Is it worth getting one over the primetone ?

Primetones are great, I think, but I like BCs better :wink:

1 Like

Iā€™ve recently gotten some primetone 1.4s in the large triangle shape, and theyā€™re awesome! I have never used a BC thoughā€¦

2 Likes

Donā€™t sell a kid or anything important to buy a BC. Primetones are totally sufficient. You will are not going to be held back by a Primetone. I like them and use them regularly, especially with my ā€œplay outā€ guitars.

With that said, I do have (and enjoy) multiple BCs. I donā€™t miss the money I put into BCs, and when they leave my possession, I will replace them without a moment of hesitation.

3 Likes

Ok guys will continue my journey for now with the Primetone 1.4mm Large and put the BlueChip on my Xmas prezzie listā€¦ Lol

1 Like

@Mike_R hahah ā€œdonā€™t sell a kidā€ for a Bluechip :joy:

1 Like

took the plunge @jw11

Special order custom TP50 order: RH speed bevel at the bottom, rounded edge top left as for the normal TP50-1R and a square edge

I can use it for both Mando and Guitar :+1:

Child soldā€¦ lol

3 Likes

Hey Great Lee!!! I donā€™t think you can go wrong. Please let us know how you like it after youā€™ve tried it for awhile.

Thanks,

J.W.

will do pal

Just got the pick and have to say IMHO its so much better than the Dunlop and i know its all subjective to the userā€¦

For meā€¦The grip and feel in the fingers feels is so much more stable, the sound is crisper and it glides over the string far better and because i had a custom made pick i have all three side now to play with. The size is slightly smaller but for me thats a bonus as well.

1 Like

That nice feel will decrease over time (we are oily critters), but a simple wash with soap seems to restore the feel pretty well.

Thanks mike for that

Glad you finally got your pick Lee and also glad you like it! Iā€™m sure youā€™ll be happy with it for a long time. I use the even smaller STP 50. I like both the STP and TP Size. The TDā€™s are just too big and clumsy in my opinion.

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up with!

Hmmmm, how come I never thought of that? Mine doesnā€™t have that new feel anymore and slips more than it used to. Iā€™ll give that a try. Thanks Mike!

J.W.

I like this pick.

It is my pick of choiceā€¦ Having received several from @Jake with my Mandolinā€¦ I like this best.