Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Dunlop Primetone Picks

I’m wondering if anyone else has noticed the difference in tone and playability of the Dunlop Primetone Small picks between the “grip” and “smooth” version? I have both and I like the more muted tone of the smooth but find my single note picking isn’t as quick with it. The “grip” version I find to be quicker across the strings but is a bit brighter sounding. Would love to find a pick that gave me the tone of the “smooth” with the playability of the “grip”. Anyone know what pick Ben is using in the Amazing Grace Build-A-Break lesson? Love the guitar tone in that lesson!

I haven’t had experience with the different Primetones recently. The pick I’m using in that lesson is a Bluechip CT55: https://store.banjobenclark.com/products/bluechip-ct55-chris-thile-flatpick

Thanks, Ben! Great tone coming off your guitar in that lesson. I’ll look into the CT55. Just have to get over the sticker shock. LOL! Hey, the Eastman E6D I ordered from you guys earlier this week JUST showed up at the door! That was fast!! I’ll have to tell the wife that I won’t be mowing the lawn today… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Enjoy that guitar! It’s mighty fine! And, I surely appreciate your support of the General Store!

There is much discussion of this at mandolincafe.com. while I have no experience with these picks, what I’ve read is that the tone difference is because the smooth picks are cut from sheet plastic, while the grip ones are molded. I would like to try the large triangles. The bluechip is a great pick but very expensive :money_mouth_face: