Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Dumb Question?

thanks for all the input to my question …i think i found a tuesday night jam …ill have to call the number to be sure …but i cant wait to go and fit in where i can and listen and learn when i cant …im looking forward to it …i enjoy playing and practicing here at home but i know there’s so much to learn if you keep and open mind and there is no substitute for playing with other musicians …

Good deal, Ron. You’ll have a good time because you’ve got the right attitude. This thread’s got me fired up for my jam, too.

Hey Ron, i’ve been playing guitar for about 6 weeks and i go to my local pick!! i’ve got 3 chords G C D and a capo (i’ve almost got F & C). i’ve learned 3 songs!!! and i sing and play along with the guys when i can (more often than i thought i would).
i mess up quite a bit,a nd it’s a bit embarrassing at times, i also have the words of the songs in a little book (not very cool).
but i’m made very welcome by the guys because however "rubbish " i might sound etc, i am contributing to the night, after all said and done the pick is a social event not a band practice. i have improved no end by going to the pick i mostly listen, or mute the strings and “boom chick” just to practise my rhythm. so my advice is find a local pick leave all you insecurites at home, and just turn up!! you’ll be glad you did.

regards Ron

— Begin quote from "brumski"

…i also have the words of the songs in a little book (not very cool).

— End quote

I take my little music stand to jams, too. Not very cool, but far cooler than forgetting the words half way through a song. :smiley: I’ve even been thinking about taking my laptop because it’s such a hassle keeping up with the individual sheets of music, but I fear that would exceed the allowable nerd threshold, and I’d probably be run out of the jam on a rail.

— Begin quote from "brumski"

…however "rubbish " i might sound etc, i am contributing to the night, after all said and done the pick is a social event not a band practice

— End quote

Well, said. Whatever we add to the music (great or small), we’re still part of the energy of the circle, and that’s where the fun is.

Ron (Brumski), great post. I’m a music stand kind of guy too. Granted, it’s a bit different when it’s a small group and everyone knows each other, but I’ll bring multiple copies of songs for others to use and/or take.
Larry brought up the nerd threshold… I guess I should abandon my thought of getting one of the nifty government issue teleprompters?

— Begin quote from "mreisz"

I guess I should abandon my thought of getting one of the nifty government issue teleprompters?

— End quote

I was thinking I need more of a Karaoke machine with lyrics, chords and little bouncing ball to help me keep up.

thanks Ron(brumski) …i will definitely be going soon …gonna try to call that number on monday to see if its happening this tuesday …gonna be practicing til then lol …got some new strings today but had to settle for D’Addario light 80/20’s …who knew a music store in defiance ohio wouldnt be open on a saturday …so i had to find another store that specializes in school band instruments and had a VERY limited selection of strings …but they definitely sound good right now …a whole lot better than those old tired dogs i had on for way too long …

I-PAD works wonders. I don’t have one .But, a friend of mine does. I like it a whole lot.

— Begin quote from "travelingjim"

I-PAD works wonders. I don’t have one .But, a friend of mine does. I like it a whole lot.

— End quote

Yeah, my wife has an IPad and it will sit right on the music stand. I’ve thought about using it at jams, but the display is kind of small for my old eyes. I actually took my laptop tonight and set it on a milk crate in front of me. I took a little grief for it, but it actually worked pretty good.

Inquiring minds want to know, Larry… did you do Midnight Moonlight?

— Begin quote from "mreisz"

Inquiring minds want to know, Larry… did you do Midnight Moonlight?

— End quote

I saved it for next week. We had a really small group tonight (just 2 guitars, a fiddle, mandolin, and bass) and the second song I do is John Prine’s Paradise, which isn’t exactly traditional bluegrass but has been recorded by Jim & Jesse and has a nice Kentucky theme, so it’s “bluegrassy” anyway. After I finished the fiddler, who’s about 25 years my senior, leans over and says, “Is that one of them new ones?” I got a good chuckle because the song is 40 years old. But, I figured I’d stick with more traditional tunes the rest of the evening and try out Midnight Moonlight next week when the circle is a little bigger.

It was actually a pretty good jam tonight. The park was having some kind of reggae festival so I think a lot of the regulars at our jam assumed they would be locked out, and we had a tiny group, but that is actually more fun (2 guitars… perfect).

Thats the fun part of a jam. I really like Prines style too. He has some great tones.

Jim, thanks for the link. It sounds awesome. Unfortunately, when I went there, Chrome told me it was a site known to have malware. Dangit! I was really looking forward to seeing it so I could go find a circle.

Oops! Well, try this one: folkjam.org/
jim

Works great! Thanks!