Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Drums

Granger Smith, Some of High Valley, A few Dean Brody and Paul Brandt ect

1 Like

I don’t care for Earl dibbles as much but Grangers songs are mostly pretty good.

1 Like

I don’t know, but you wouldn’t be the first bluegrass band to use drums.

" Bluegrass Gains Definition

Perhaps the flashpoint in the solidification of traditional bluegrass as we know it came in December 1945 when 21-year-old Earl Scruggs joined the band and it contained a mandolin, a guitar, a banjo, a fiddle and a bass. Although this grouping of the Blue Grass Boys only stayed together for three years, by the late 1950s “bluegrass” referred to this genre.

Why Drums Were Not Part of Midcentury Bluegrass

One reason drums were excluded may have been technological. Concert amplification equipment was not sophisticated enough to balance drums and vocals in the 1940s and early 1950s. Consequently, many venues banned drums. This included the [Grand Ole Opry, which was a keystone in career trajectories.

One theory is that in order to get a booking there and tour elsewhere, Bill Monroe strategically chose a configuration that did not need a drummer. Others followed suit until technology offered more options.

Breaking The “No Drum” Rule

Bluegrass evolved before 1945, and as early as 1948 it continued to evolve as Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs broke away and formed their own band, the Foggy Mountain Boys.
They added a Dobro and occasionally had a drummer according to this articleOpens in a new tab..

Their guitarist, [Mac Wiseman!, later joined Bill Monroe’s band before launching his solo career where he was sometimes accompanied by drums. These and other “first generation bluegrass musicians” were not afraid to include drums after amplification technology allowed better balance."

https://www.acousticfun.com/do-bluegrass-bands-have-drummers/

I got caught in a snare, it was tied in a tree and I sprung the snare. I’m not completely traditionalist but not pro-all “snares” :slight_smile: