Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Dr. Karen Carver from Winston Salem, North Carolina

Dr%20Karen%20Carver

What was it that first got you interested in playing the guitar, mandolin or banjo?
Whenever I would hear a bluegrass group, the banjo always stood out to me. I always wanted to learn that instrument.

How long have you been playing and what’s your motivation to play?
I have been taking lessons for a little over a year and a half. I would love to someday play in a group just for fun.

What’s your favorite lesson on Ben’s site and how has it helped you improve?
My favorite lesson on Ben’s site so far has been the beginner lessons for banjo. I have a wonderful teacher, Ralph McGee, and Ben’s lessons help reinforce and remind me of what I’m trying to learn.

What’s your goal when playing?
Right now, I want to increase my speed and accuracy.

What’s your favorite hobby?
Playing the banjo, painting, or just any craft.

How long have you been a Gold Pick member?
I have been a gold pick member since January of this year (2018)

What do you do for a living?
I am a Pastor’s wife. My husband and I have been at our church for 40 years this July. My favorite funny saying is “ I play the banjo because I like it, not because I’m good at it”.

10 Likes

Is there a doctor in the house? Why yes. Yes there is. :slight_smile:

Nice to meet you Dr. Carver. Congrats on being GPotW!

1 Like

Nice to meet you Karen and congrats on being selected as the weeks Gold Pick Member.

1 Like

Dr. Karen, I think I’ve met you at Ralph’s shop in King. Did you buy a Deering in Pigeon Forge? I live right down the road about a mile in Northridge.

1 Like

Yes, I sure did! Got my banjo last summer! It was nice hearing from you!!

You’ve come to the best place on the web for learning banjo. Glad you’re here.

2 Likes

Thank you!! How exciting!

Thanks!!

I want to adopt that quote! Lol

Don’t worry, I will give credit where it is due… as I quote you.

Congrats! A DOCTOR who plays Banjer! Who’d a thunk it!

:grin:

1 Like

I love this website!!

1 Like

The feeling is mutual Dr Karen :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Nice to meet you Dr Karen! I really like your quote “My favorite funny saying is “ I play the banjo because I like it, not because I’m good at it.” I’m gonna copy that; it pretty much describes all of my music activities. :grin:

1 Like

I saw this saying on a T-shirt! :joy: It was me!!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Congratulations, Karen! Sounds like you are building on a great foundation!

Congrats Doc and pleased to meet you! Welcome to the club, I play for the same reason and so far, my dog hasn’t left the room when I play so that must be good, right?

@karencarver51, great to meet you! I totally agree that the banjo stands out in a bluegrass group, and most people (if they’re honest) really like that sound of fast notes flying everywhere.

Congratulations Dr. Karen Carver, and nice to meet you.