Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Down time advice

I started my banjo journey about 6 months ago. I joined BBC about a month back. I am almost done with the beginners tier. I have participated in two other, less organized, online trainings before I started here. The BBC site is very organized with good contient, congrats and thanks. This all leads me to my main question.

I have an unfortunate shoulder left surgery next week. No worries, I will recover. I would like to know y’alls advice. My left arm is, right handed player, going to be in recovery and limited in use. What would you suggest for my continued banjo education. I am not looking for Dr. advice so, ya know. I am looking for ideas to improve right hand technique and good books/training for music theory. I have completed the theory videos here and like to expand on that where I can. I also think, I should invest this time for improving right hand techniques, I will revisit the rolls training videos and tabs. It there any more training for that that you would suggest?

Thanks,
BK

5 Likes

Firstly good luck with surgery and then being laid up. Next, not a banjo player but think that I have seen different tunings for the Banjo which may prove the time for exploring them I have done this myself with the guitar and advised others when recovering. If nothing else you get a flavour of that sound and if you would want to try it again.

Hope it helps might be something in it!

Alternate Tunings etc are on here -Adam Ash-Spillwater Drive

If you haven’t read The Laws of Brainjo maybe that’s something you could start with. You could spend a ot of time listening and visualizing yourself playing. Listen to the beginner songs you learned and actually picture yourself playing, what it feels like, etc. There are lots of theory lessons on the site. You could also work on listening to songs and figuring out the chord changes while thinking about the rolls you might play if you were playing along. Good opportunity for some ear training. Hope you have a quick recovery.

6 Likes

GREAT advice, Scott!
I read an article where are a scientist who specialized in Neuroscience (did I just make up a word?) had a friend who was a concert pianist. He noticed when his friend listened to another pianist play that he would unconsciously be moving his hands on his lap as if he were playing. When asked, the friend said he would visualize himself playing what he was hearing. The Neurologist put his friend in a lab and monitored his brain activity while playing. He then monitored the brain activity while the friend listened to a piano solo, with the friend visualizing himself playing the music. The brain activity in both cases was nearly identical. So what Scott advises is spot on! Focus on listening to stuff you already know, watching and visualizing yourself playing the music - set aside that time as you would for a regular time of practicing. Study music theory, practice singing licks and melodies (I tell all my guitar students - sing what you play and play what you sing)… stay involved with music. When your left arm comes back into the game, I think you will be surprised with what happens. Heal quickly, my friend.

regards,
mr g

5 Likes

All, thanks for the advise. I found a site that has a series of online music identification utilities, notes, keys, chords … So, I am leaving the link here for others if they want it. Its kind of hard for me, so it highlights that I needed to do this work. :+1:

https://www.musictheory.net/exercises

1 Like