Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Donn Gilray from Rowlett, Texas!

Tell us about you and your family!
Kathy and I have been married for 40 years. I played a banjo on our first date and she loved it. We have seven children and 14 grandchildren. I was in the United States Navy for 21 years and served on five nuclear powered submarines. All five of our daughters live in the Dallas, Texas area and our one living son lives in Utah. Our oldest son served in the Marines and passed away a few years ago.

What was it that first got you interested in playing the guitar, mandolin or banjo?
My album with Roy Clark and Buck Trent called “A Pair of 5’s”. I still have the LP. I had a very inexpensive banjo and the Earl Scruggs book when I was 16. I lost interest for a while because I could not get the backward roll down in Home Sweet Home. Now I have a nice guitar and a mandolin that I want to give some practice time to.

How long have you been playing and what’s your motivation to play?
I technically started when I was 16, but life got in the way and I stopped playing for years. I picked it up again in 2000 after I retired from the Navy. Ross Nickerson was my first virtual teacher. I took live lessons from Gerald Jones (he lives about 20 minutes from me). Went to Jack Hatfield’s 2005 Smoky Mountain Banjo Academy. Put it down again for a while. In 2020 I bought my first real nice Banjo - a Deering Sierra. I had a Goodtime back in the early 2000’s that I morphed into a more traditional banjo with parts here and parts there, then bought more parts…yep.

What’s your favorite lesson on Ben’s site and how has it helped you improve?
I have just recently discovered Ben’s site and decided to buy the lifetime membership. I can’t say I have a favorite lesson yet, but I do like the Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced Tracks. I go back and forth to review fundamentals and various songs. I do like the Michael Hyatt planner he suggested and how to structure my practice time. This is what my retirement will look like.

Are there any other instruments or genres of music that you enjoy playing?
I play saxohpone. I have a tenor, alto, and soprano. I like playing old pop songs, but am starting to learn jazz improvisation. I just bought a Martin acoustic guitar (not a D-28) to have a quality guitar to start practicing flatpicking. I also have a mandolin, flute, clarinet, and my son bought me a banjolele last Father’s Day that I have not put a lot of time into, yet.

Do you have a favorite technique? What is it?
I met Bill Keith at Jack’s camp and I really like melodic (not that I am very proficient at it). I want to learn the banjo, not just a bunch of songs. I took some Skype lessons from Pat Cloud. I really like his “no-roll” philosophy. He says to just let the picking hand follow the fret hand’s lead.

If you could play in anyone’s band, who would it be and why?
Got to see Rhonda Vincent at the Grand Ole Opry a few years ago and I just like the fun she has while performing.

What type of gear or accessories have you found that work best for you?
I use Ross Nickerson’s signature nickel picks. I use a Golden Gate plastic thumbick. I use a Zookie thumbpick occasionally, too. I had a Scorpion Bridge on my parts banjo, but I am trying a Snuffy Smith bridge (from Ben’s store) on the Sierra.

If money was no object, what would be your dream instrument(s)?
I would get a Huber banjo - probably a Kalamazoo. I met Steve Huber through my former banjo teacher, Mark Stockton, on my way to Jack Hatfield’s camp in 2005. He was very easy going and very confident in his banjos. Then I would have Kyle Smith set it up (not sure if he is still doing that).

When you’re not pickin’, what else do you spend your time doing?
I work as an Accountant. Rubik’s cube is one of my past times. I am a bit of a juggler, and just got some indian clubs to practice with. I like to see my grandkids and just have fun. i bought a unicycle but haven’t put the time into learn it yet.

How did you find out about Banjo Ben?
My first purchase from Banjo Ben Clark was a set of Cheat-a-Keys. I bought those six months after I bought the Sierra. I had previously used Schaller D-Tuners on my parts banjo, but they broke and I learned that even the Keith Tuners were hard to keep in tune. Gerald Jones suggested I get Cheat-a-Keys. So I found them at Ben’s site and ordered some.

Anything else you’d like to add?
I went to Jack Hatfield’s SMBA and really liked James McKinney’s technique. I met Larry McNeely, Bill Keith, Butch Robbins, Doug Dillard, Bill Evans, and of course Jack. Did you know Jack is a really good tennis player? I did a mini camp with Eddie Collins and Tony Trishka in Austin, Texas. I have been spotty on learning and I want to really learn the keyboard and backup techniques.

Thanks for letting us feature you @donn.gilray ! Welcome aboard!

17 Likes

gif Donn on being selected as this weeks Gold Pick Member. It’s been a while since we’ve had a Gold Pick Member Nominee.

4 Likes

Congrats @donn.gilray on being the Gold Pick Member of the Week. You’ve got another club juggler on the forum with you although I don’t juggle as much after I got into mandolin.

1 Like

@donn.gilray, congrats on being a featured Gold Pick member! I can tell you are a “get to the point” kinda guy after learning about playing banjo on your first date with your wife…it’s important to have let her known what she was in for from the start! I enjoyed reading your answers, and thanks for sharing. Welcome to the forum!

1 Like

Thank you, Archie. I actually watched your Sailors Hornpipe video and was very impressed. I have been working on that before I knew it was a Banjo Ben lesson. I have used Jack Baker’s arrangement on Tabledit. Love the song and the flow.

1 Like

Hi, Stuart! I have only been able to sustain a few cycles yet with the clubs. I need to narrow down my hobbies. I just like doing odd stuff. I also have a Mandolin and will need to move it up the hobby list…

1 Like

Thanks, xmark! Happened to have it in the car. I have never had to use a mute. She loves the sound even of my slow practicing. I bought a mute recently only because it is on the packing list for the up coming Cabin Camp.

1 Like

@donn.gilray I’m sure you already know, but Rhonda Vincent will be at Bloomin’ Bluegrass in Farmer’s Branch, TX on OCT 14-15. Thanks for sharing your insights!

1 Like

Why Thank You Donn gif no one has ever said anything like that before. Of course I take no credit it’s all down to @BanjoBen 's teaching. Jack has some great Scruggs TABs. Glad to learn you have TablEdit makes learning so much easier.

Awesome bio Donn. Just curious where you were stationed in the Navy? I grew up running around submarines as a kid. My dad was stationed at Naval Submarine Base Bangor up in Washington.

Scott, I was never stationed in Bangor, although my first submarine was the USS Bremerton and we did a port visit up there in 1982. Some of our shipmates were in the March of Dimes parade while we were there. I was homeported in Hawaii, San Diego, and Connecticut.

I had family in Bremerton and we used to visit there before I was in the Navy. My mom was born in Yakima, Washington.

That’s awesome I grew up in Bremerton and Silverdale. My dad was on the Andrew Jackson, Alabama, and Michigan.

Great bio @donn.gilray! You seem to really like learning new things……I really hope you learn to ride that unicycle!

@Timothy_L can ride a unicycle with the best of them! :blush:

3 Likes

Vids or it didn’t happen!

2 Likes

Lol. You can see Linus riding (and playing guitar) in The Brothers Five entry for the Auld Lang Syne contest, on my channel.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, I remember that. “Bet you can’t do that Banjo Ben!” :joy::joy:

2 Likes

Can Jake Workman do that?!

3 Likes

He can probably unicycle so fast that he jumps a ramp over the ocean and plays every song on his Landmark album while in mid air and sticks the landing on the other side of the world.

6 Likes