Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Does anyonne have this book -> The Ultimate Banjo Song Book by Janet Davis

is it any good?

1 Like

hey @frankb_be i’ve never had that paticular book but i have had two of her bookz and sorry to say wasn’t impressed by either. maybe this one would be better, who knows. I found them to be not very good arrangements and the teaching itself on the CDs was quite boring. Maybe someone has had the opposite opinion but that was my experience.

3 Likes

My experience is the same as @Shaky_loves_banjo

3 Likes

Given that the book appears to just be instruction and tab for specific songs, I’d pass. I think you’re pretty good at figuring things out by ear and improvisation anyway, so I’d throw your focus to that and learn the songs yourself- it’s more rewarding that way in my opinion.

3 Likes

Hi @frankb_be I don’t have that book but I do have Splitting the Licks, Up the Neck and Back Up Banjo I have to say I struggled with them. The CDs and the DVDs were not very helpful either. Maybe now that I have more knowledge and experience I might make better use of them. I bought them when I was a rank beginner on the advice of a teacher who didn’t have the patience to teach me and we parted company. I should add so did the 20 other students who signed up at the same time as me. But hey that’s another story.

If you want to learn Scruggs / JD Crowe Style go check out Sean Ray https://seanray.com/ He has the Kickoff and Session books and you can also buy TABs from him.

3 Likes

Thank you all :heart:

3 Likes

Hi @frankb_be if you decide to buy it perhaps you could give us a review on the content. nod-and-a-wink

1 Like