Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Does anyone recognize this guy

The Monkees question is David. Crosby. I’m actually embarrassed that I can remember this stuff and not important stuff. DC didn’t get the job because of bad teeth and tv considerations.

@The_Mole You were close, Here is what I found on Wikipedia… Stephen Stills had auditioned for the new television series about four pop-rock musicians but was turned down because the show’s producers felt his hair and teeth would not photograph well on camera. They asked Stills if he knew of someone with a similar “open, Nordic look,” and Stills suggested Tork audition for the part. Tork got the job and became one of the four members of the Monkees, a fictitious pop band in the mid-1960s, created for a television sitcom written about the fictitious band. Tork was the oldest member of the group.

I remember Mickey Dolenz from The Monkees was a child actor who played Corky in Circus Boy. Now I am really showing my age

@Archie.Lol…WhenI read your other post about Pete Seeger, i was thinking man this guy IS “old”…lol, but then I’m like wait a minute, I’m old… he cant be that much older than me…lol. You maybe be somewhat close to my brothers’ age who is 10 y/o than me.

As far as Jerrys’ banjo, my research says it’s a Weymann and that he and his first wife Sarah sold their wedding presents to buy it. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

@Archie here’s another fun-filled Monkees fact. Mike Nesmith, whose first name is actually Robert, was in the Air Force here at Lackland AFB, he also went to San Antonio college here. His mother is the one who invented “liquid Paper”. On the song “What am I doing hanging 'round” one of the lines is What am I doin’ hangin’ round?
I should be on that train and gone.
I should be ridin’ on that train to San Antone,
What am I doin’ hangin’ round?
He had a lot of memories here in San Antonio,.

Unknown

also a bassist in a band

1 Like

(love The Who and his bass playing… RIP). John Entwistle.

Though I think it was Pete who played the banjo on Squeeze Box.

Well, I have to admit when I’m out of bounds. The story below is correct (I ad libbed the car sales part) but that isn’t where Jerry bought his Weymann, that came later when he was married to his wife Sarah as reported by seelingdan. The banjo purchased from the Kreutzmanns was a relatively inexpensive model. At that time Jerry would have been relatively young and unmarried - probably around 18. If you are wondering if I’m making this all up, I’m only reporting what is available at your local public library.

Hey no fair looking things up! I’m struggling through a bad memory over here. As I recall the story, Jerry answered a newspaper ad for a second hand banjo. The ad was placed by the failed banjo picker who was Billy Kreutzmann’s dad. Little Billy, in a stroke of luck answered the door. If it weren’t for that twist of fate, Billy would have been an annoying car salesman hand drumming on the hood of vehicles for sale waiting for the next customer. At least that is the way I remember the story.

Okay I may have missed on that one. At least I was in the ballpark.

You have to look closely to be sure it isn’t Ben. He really likes the crazy get-ups. (I think they are hilarious too.) The thing that tipped me off are the bell bottom pants. Anyone younger than 40 (actually under 50) would never even consider them, know what they are, and most importantly have access to pants like that.

Embarrassingly, I was around at that time but I never wore bell bottoms, The lassies sure looked pretty in them. It was often hard to tell from behind which were laddies and which were lassies.

1 Like

Say “Hallo” to my little friend!

Anyone else thinking the same?

1 Like