Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Dobro

Any plans to add dobro lessons?

6 Likes

That would definitely be a fun addition!

4 Likes

I hope to one day but it will be with a dobro-specific instructor. Who, I don’t know.

8 Likes

@BanjoBen you heard that epic dobro solo i did on @Dragonslayer dobro at the camp a few weeks ago. I’m more than happy to offer my epic dobro skills and teach​:joy::joy:.

4 Likes

In the meantime, what aspect of the dobro are you working on, @oaklymaple? I can give you some pointers.

5 Likes

Well I don’t have a dobro so no aspects. I was just messing around on Gunnars at the cabin camp a few weeks ago and it was pretty fun. I was able to quickly work out a few solos but then my hand started cramping because of the slide

5 Likes

Hold the slide between your thumb and middle finger, and rest your index finger on top of it. You won’t have any cramping problems. Keep your left wrist straight as well. That’s something I had to correct after playing for a while.

As far as getting one, I usually recommend the Beard Deco Phonic guitars as a good intermediate and advanced Dobro to start with, but a friend of mine recently got one of the R. Q. Jones “Retrofits” like the ones @BanjoBen sells, and I was quite impressed with it. I recently met Billy (the builder of the retrofits) and he does nice work. One of those would make a great starter for sure.

I kind of want one myself :slight_smile:

5 Likes

That would be great! Definitely will be looking forward to this addition. Hope it’s sooner than later!

6 Likes

I think that might have been, plus I was hold tension with my pinky and middle finger.

Your pinky and ring finger should mute the strings behind the bar, but they shouldn’t do anything for actually holding it.

2 Likes

Right I was hold them in the air in a weird position and i think thats why I was hold so much tension.

1 Like

Very possible. Look at a video or Rob Ickes or Mike Witcher on YouTube and look at their left hand.

2 Likes