Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Dobro Question for Mr. Ben

Hey @BanjoBen I just got a Dobro and am trying to figure out how to play it. Who taught you how to play?
-Josiah M.

8 Likes

Hey there Siah check with Gunner he might be able to help out. He play’s the Dobro( and everything else it seems) reach out I’m sure he could be of assistance. :sunglasses:

9 Likes

Hey Siah,

Troy Brenningmeyer has some really good lessons on YouTube. Check him out, I think he would be a great place to start.

Good Luck!

7 Likes

Congrats! I essentially taught myself…and it shows! haha! I hope to add dobro instruction to the site in 2021 but for now http://www.lessonswithtroy.com/ is a good option, tell him I sent you!

12 Likes

Thanks you guys!!:grin:

2 Likes

Until Banjo Ben has Dobro instruction, I would recommend Artistworks. Andy Hall’s school is really in-depth, and starts at the very beginning and goes as advanced as you can ever want. I was a member of that for two or three years and really liked it. I’d also check out Rob’s Reso Room from Rob Ickes (bigmusictent.com.) Over the last year I’ve switched to taking private Skype lessons with Mike Witcher as well to learn some more advanced techniques.

If you’re looking for a good book with some advanced licks to work on, check out The Dobro Workbook by David Hamburger.

Have fun!
Luke

9 Likes

Thank you! I will check this out

6 Likes

I can’t wait!

4 Likes

I used Jimmyheffernan.com for about a month, he’s got a good deal going on right now, $10 per month, but I mostly am teaching myself dobro

2 Likes