Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Mandolin lesson: You Are My Sunshine

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/you-are-my-sunshine-mandolin

This is a great one for any picker, even rank beginners! We start with the basic melody and get more and more radioactive as we go.

2 Likes

Ben, Do you just have tabs? I would like to practice this with standard music quotation. I am just a beginner but know how to read music and feel like it would benefit me more then just tab

2 Likes

Hi Amanda

If you have TablEdit it has a feature that allows you to read tef files in Standard Notation.

Open the tef file in TablEdit then click on File on the top menu, Select Options. In the dialogue box check Notation and uncheck TAB. Click on Apply then OK. You may need to Save it to retain those settings.

You can also print these out.

2 Likes

Good call, Archie. I just did a quick check and your instructions work in the TEFView app as well.

2 Likes

Nice to know @Mark_Rocka There’s a lot of features in TablEdit I have yet to figure out. I haven’t managed to work out how to get those Dynamic Volume Settings to work out on individual instruments. It seems to alter things Globally.

Basically what I am trying to do is turn up the volume on the instrument that’s paying the solo and turn down the volume on the backup instruments. Not really sure that’s possible.

I do that all the time. It’s under the MIDI menu in MIDI Options. Here’s a screen shot. The highlighted section is what you’re looking for.

Capture

You should see a separate line for each instrument in the TEF file you have open.

1 Like

Hi Mark I understand that part. What I want to do is turn the volume up and down whilst the tab is playing. I know it’s possible to alter the tempo using a marker inserted into the TAB. I saw it on a TAB years ago but can’t remember how it was done. Again that was a Global setting

OK. I misunderstood your goal. So, do you want the volumes changes to be in the same measures every time, or are you trying to change them on the fly? If you just need to adjust the volume once and then play along with it, I can post some screen caps for that. I don’t think there’s a way to change track volumes while the music is playing.

Hi Mark, My goal is to have a TAB with multiple instruments playing solos one after another. Fiddle, Mandolin, Guitar and Banjo. As each instrument plays solo it does so at full volume whist the backing instruments play quieter a little bit like working a single mike. Because I had seen that TAB with the Tempo changes I thought it might be possible to do something similar with the volume on the fly by creating a bookmark at the start and en of each instrument solo. I found the feature that does this for the Tempo changes it’s in the Edit Menu under Insert and although there is a feature to change the Voice none to change the volume. I’ll send you a sample via email

You can set the dynamics for each note and by selecting a group of notes you can alter them all at once. For instance if you want the mandolin break to be more prominent, select the notes you want louder and set them to FF. For softer, p or pp.

1 Like

Hi Mike, I have been trying that but it’s just not working for me. It seems to work on a single layer TAB but trying to do this on multiple layers it doesn’t seem to work. I have spent a lot of time on this and I am resigned to the fact that my little project just wont work.

I replied to your email Archie. Let me know how that works for you.

1 Like

I hope you were able to follow the instructions provide for the free TEFView program, which allows you to switch my tabs to notation with a quick click of a button. You can learn more about it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzS9NxVuNbg

1 Like

Thanks @Mark_Rocka much appreciated

I am an old picker returning to pick after several years hiatus. I’m having to start over from scratch and while I love this song for starting, I just want my fingers to cooperate and not go off on a tangent. I’m good at present with daily half-hour lessons, so I’m not too far gone. :smiley: I just want more and want it now! :smiley: I know that ain’t gonna happen. Thanks for the lessons and for presenting this one with three speeds of backup music. I’m working on getting it down well enough to play with backup. Suggestions? BTW I’m think I’m going to have to adjust my action as I noticed a buzz in the C chord of Sunshine. I’m going to work out more in practice before getting that done however and make sure its not just a pressure issue. Thanks for the great lessons again and God bless!!

2 Likes

If you are looking for suggestions to get it to the slowest backup, using the Tabledit software allows you to play along at any speed. So it is good for getting up to the slowest backup as well as filling in the gaps between the backing tracks. You could also use software to slow down or speed up the backing tracks, but I don’t personally do that. Good luck!

1 Like

So after seeing this thread reappear I just wanted to say @Mark_Rocka & @Mike_R I finally figured out how to do this. Yippee!!! Thanks guy’s

2 Likes

Hey Ben, tried the 7 day trial, but it doesn’t really unlock the lesson. Sad

1 Like

Howdy @flintkeller01! Give us a shout over on the contact form and I’ll get you fixed up! https://banjobenclark.com/contact

2 Likes