Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Mandolin lesson: Whiskey Before Breakfast

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/whiskey-before-breakfast-mandolin

**This is a tab purchase only. Join as a Gold Pick member to get video access AND all tab downloads as part of your membership!

1 Like

Quick question about the play along tracks. Do you repeat the song? I believe I am playing right in time and the chord changes seem to match up but I end up finishing the song about half way through the play along track with this tune. I’m sure I’m doing something wrong but any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated!

3 Likes

Yes, those MP3 jam tracks repeat 3 times before they end. Just keep on keepin’ on. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Does each part repeat 3 times or the entire song repeats three times?

3 Likes

entire tune 3 times

form of tune once through is A A B B…same as the mando solo mp3

4 Likes

I have a question about the fingering… when I play the 6th fret on G string should I be using my 3rd or 4th finger to hit that note? When playing in the run (measures 8, 12, 16, etc.) I find that I miss the fret flat when I use my 3rd finger, and hit it right on when I use my 4th. would it be best to train my hand to hit the note with the 3rd finger?

Or is this just one of those personal preference things? I don’t want to start learning bad habits to early on… if that makes any sense.

3 Likes

Personally, I don’t see any harm in using your pinky to fret that note. In most cases, people actually shy away from using their pinky finger, so if you’re using it, I say keep it up! It’s a good habit to strengthen that finger anyway.

5 Likes

Welcome @nathan.delahay!

4 Likes

Thanks for the encouragement Mark! Like I said, just didn’t want to start learning bad habits on my own :wink:

5 Likes

Do it both :slight_smile: Typically that 6th fret is played with the ring finger so don’t neglect it.

5 Likes