Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Mandolin lesson: What Child is This (Greensleeves)- Intermediate

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/what-child-is-this-greensleeves-intermediate-mandolin

Though this tune is traditionally a waltz, this particular version is built in 4/4 time and jazzed up a bit. It’s in the key of E minor, and it’s built to play fast! This tab is written to go along with the guitar and banjo versions of this tune, so introduce it to the rest of the band!

For those of us who may be skipping ahead to this tune at Christmastime to give it a shot, what do those gray boxes around some of the notes in the tablature mean? I poked around for a previous lesson that would have covered this, but couldn’t find the answer. Thanks!

I could be mistaken, but I think that’s a muted note. So you’d keep your fretted fingers in place, but ease up off the fretboard so that the strings don’t ring out. Hopefully someone will correct me if I’m wrong.

1 Like

Can confirm! They are fully muted notes, basically just leave your finger on the string with no pressure, for a percussive chock-a (for those two eight notes) sound.

Tell you how I know: I watched the darn video lesson! It’s almost like Ben makes these things because they’re really effective teaching tools for us to watch…! I’ll be putting aside my impatience and watching before tabbing from now on. :blush:

3 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

Hi @Sohl Chris, It always pays dividends to watch the video lesson.gif