Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Mandolin lesson: We Wish You a Merry Christmas

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/we-wish-you-a-merry-christmas-mandolin

Merry Christmas! Enjoy this free tab and jam track mp3’s for this classic Christmastime melody!

That A and B Chord is a struggle for me to get to quickly. I tend to try to set my fingers on the A and E strings first then bar the G&D strings. Just checking to seeing if anyone has any tips on this chord shape other that just keep practicing and your hands will get better muscle memory?

1 Like

Hi Stuart, what I do on the banjo is flip between shapes until it becomes part of my muscle memory and no longer have to think what I’m doing I just do it. I feel sure that would work for the mandolin & guitar. Really what your doing is adjusting hand positions between a couple of awkward positions Like picking up items in the super market and putting them in your shopping cart. It becomes routine after a while.

1 Like

@Stuart.Gamble
I have been beating up this song for a couple weeks now :confounded:. Been having a time of getting it to sound clean.

Those particular A & B chords aren’t the problem for me as those are the shapes I regularly use for alot of my chop chords up & down the neck (i cant play the big regular 4 finger chops to save my life.) My trouble is keeping the whole thing from sounding muddy!!!

When I 1st started using those chord shapes a long while back, (the ones in this arrangement that u speak of), I only used 3 fingers, (on GD&A strings) (not using the pinky on E string or playing the E string at all) And I actually placed my fingers down opposite order of how you’re placing yours, I’d 1st bar G&D, then add the A string. Eventually u get used to doing that and it’s easy to add on the pinky later. Then, once that’s doable, it gives you the dexterity to do minor chords in that shape by lifting your ring finger & fretting w middle finger while keeping pinky down on E string :grin:! (ex. A = 2245, but Am = 2235, fretted in the string order of GDAE).

So maybe try running thru the A & B chord part with 3 fingers only strumming 3 strings, try planting them reverse order (do the bar 1st) then try and add on the pinky once that gets comfortable. Maybe it’ll help you some… wont hurt to try.

I’m probably the most backwards mando chording person to offer advice, (I dont regularly use the “normal” chords) so hope this helps and isnt too confusing :grin:! And if it is… well heck, my apologies :grimacing::thinking:!! (Either way I’d be curious as to if it helped or hindered, and no worries on hurting my feelings either. What some folks don’t like is sometimes a gold mine for others :slightly_smiling_face:!)

3 Likes

Thanks @Archie and @Simone for the helpful advice

2 Likes

@Stuart.Gamble, maybe post a 5-10 second video of you trying to play those chords where I can see your hand and offer some advice. Keep at it!

Thanks @BanjoBen , I will record something this evening.