Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Mandolin lesson: The First Noel

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/the-first-noel-mandolin-beginner

Let this one take you back. We’ll learn a simple, yet elegant, chord-melody solo for “The First Noel” then discuss how to beef it up wanted.

Love it!

Very good sounding “beginner” plus arrangement. Going to have a handful ready for Christmas 2019. When done clean this would be a respectful performance piece on its own.

1 Like

I like this…maybe I can learn this one! :smirk:

2 Likes

I bet you can! Welcome, @JustSense

Good luck!

Welcome to the forum Justin!

In the video I say “split chord” but I’m talking about the chords that look like this " F/A " or “F over A” on the tab sheet, not the (F G7). My bad.

1 Like

Hi James I am not a mandolin player but the way I treat split chords on the banjo is generally moving one or two fingers to make the voice change. Looking at the TAB the first part of measure is F and the second half is A. So as it’s a 3/4 tune three beat in the bar you’ll play the down beat F then the A chord - chuck chuck. I see @Simone responding so I suggest you follow her advice she is way more knowledgeable than me.

I’d also encourage you to watch @BanjoBen video he always breaks down the split chords and explains what he is doing and why he does it that way.

1 Like

Yeah, I misspoke in the video. I kept saying split chord. I understand the split chords. It’s when Ben says " F over A" voicing is what I’m trying to understand. So on the tab sheet when it shows (F G7) I understand what that is. It’s when it shows " F/A " that I am inquiring about.

It was late when I made the video and just flubbed it. I was getting some late night practice in after a long medic class. And my brain was potato :potato:.

@Just_James
Sometime it means split measures meaning the measure has more than 1 chord to be played in its duration. But… (there’s always a But haha) in this case, I think it’s meaning chords over a specific note. I just tried it this way & it sounded pretty.
So here’s some chords I came up with for this if I can write them correcrly… :exploding_head:

1st line:
Starts @ measure 3: (O = open string played, X = not played)
C: O23O, G/B: OO23, F/A: 23OX, C/G: O35O (Or can use 5578)
Explaining what I did:
I think the G/B is telling us to use a G chord voicing that includes a B note in it and OO23 covers that because the 2 on A string is a B note. This thinking continues with F/A using 23OO because the 2 on the G string is an A note. Same with C/G using O35O because the 5 on the D string is a G note.

2nd line, starts measure 7:
F: 53OX, C/E: 5578,
F: 530X (split measure) then G7 I used 45XX which is only a partial chord (and I’m notorious for using those…:grimacing:) (but you could use 43XX instead for G7) then back to the C: O23O.

I think that covers the chord overs listed in this song. And I’m sure there’s even more variations that would work too.

:crossed_fingers: Hopefully this helps and wasn’t too confusing…
Hopefully I’m on the right track here and not telling bad info.
Folks plz correct me if this is not right!

1 Like

@Simone Wow! That is exactly what I was needing! Thank u so much for taking the time to type all that out. I’m sure there is a bunch of theory and fancy words and math behind all that, but what u put on there definitely helps me wrap my head around it better. Thanks again!

1 Like

@Just_James
I’m actually not great in either theory or math lol, and looking back my writing skills are questionable as well :rofl:.
Glad that helped some!

1 Like

@Archie

Thanks for the kind words but I’m thinking it’s overall the other way around :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@Just_James,
One more thing, I was playing those chords kind of strummy, not choppy.

1 Like

No I was right you did a much better job of explaining this than I ever could. I just know when to recognise talent when I sees it.

1 Like