Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Mandolin lesson: The Cassell Scrape

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/the-cassell-scrape-mandolin-advanced

Thomas Cassell (Circus No. 9, Bryan Sutton Band) drops by the Cabin to demonstrate his mandolin scraping technique! This is something the pros do that is often overlooked, and Thomas does a great job of explaining what exactly is going on!

3 Likes

Hoooo weeee that is so so so sweet sounding. I’m just learning Salt Creek now. Once I get that down, can’t wait to incorporate the scrape. I’ll have to re-watch this is lesson 30 or 40 times I’m sure. Ben, I think it’s great that you bring in high quality guests that have wonderful things to offer. So many other instructors I think would be so full of themselves to do that. All part of the great value we get here :slight_smile:

2 Likes

When I saw the title, I thought, I’ve never heard of that tune :thinking: :joy:

2 Likes

That’s awefully tasty when he “pushes” it (taking off a beat or two depending on how you count). Like at about the 30 second mark of the demo (B part second half)… awesome. And he eventually ends up right back on the beat. I get lost just listening.

Great stuff!

2 Likes

me too

1 Like

Convey thanks to Thomas!

Great fun playing along with this on the guitar. Can’t wait to get the mandolin fired up…

2 Likes

Mr. Ben, I only had to listen for a couple of seconds to hear the things you learned from Tony Wray’s rhythm. Sounds great!

2 Likes

Me 3…

1 Like

Hi all, I’ve pretty much got this cool scrape down on salt creek and experiment with the other strings. Has anyone put this in another tune? I also wanted to ask you Ben if you’d revisit some of the lessons like this one and discuss/show how to apply this lick to different tunes. Thanks, love the site and learn so much!

4 Likes

@BigSkyGirl,

Good to see you return! Don’t make it so long between posts next time. :wink::cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Hi Will, thanks for the shout out, I’m here often just dont post much.

1 Like

Great idea, thanks!

2 Likes