Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Mandolin lesson: Syncopated Picking

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/syncopated-picking-mandolin

Have you often wondered how people play those great melodic licks on mandolin that seem to just flow like a stream? Well, now you can play them too! I’ve some great exercises and a 15+ minute video showing you how to begin to build those licks everyone is talking about. We’re gonna work on right hand alternate picking while changing strings with syncopated timing. If that sounds hard, it’s not! This one is built for mandolin pickers of all levels!

1 Like

I like Ben’s mandolin lessons up until this one: Syncopated Picking.
There are only 2 short videos here that do not take you much further than Ben’s YouTube demo of this LESSON.
2 out of 10

Greg West

1 Like

The part on YouTube is 6+ minutes, whereas the lesson here is almost 15 minutes, so I don’t know what you mean. However, the question isn’t how much I post on YouTube vs. here…the question is if it’s a good lesson.

1 Like

Sometimes Ben puts more meat in his YouTube videos to draw people in to the site. In today’s online world, people really like free stuff. The internet has conditioned us to expect things to be free, so sometimes you have to give the people what they want. The idea is, once they see the quality of the lessons, they’re more likely to sign up. :wink:

3 Likes

Great lesson! Would like to see Ben break down the Rhonda Vincent licks the way he played them in the intro though. I know I should be able to figure that but not there yet. :frowning:

2 Likes

Good lesson. Used metronome @ 60/90/120.

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree with you all more! Ben, great class, BUT we’d really like to learn that Rhonda Vincent lick. Will you consider our request? Thanks char

2 Likes

Newbie here. Am I able to slow down the TEF file to practice it slower? If so, how…thanks. Char

2 Likes

Hi Char, In TablEdit click on MIDI then relative speed, In the top left of the box there is a slide bar, or click in the box next to the slide bar and change that value to the speed you want.

3 Likes

Oh dear Archie…I don’t see where I find Tab1Edit and don’t see MIDI…I’m so hit maintenance!

1 Like

Meant to say, “high” maintenance. :grin:

1 Like

Oh wait. I see that. Now I did something else…by mistake…I was able to repeat a section…now I’m trying to figure out how I did that…???

1 Like

Hi Char. So I guess you don’t have TablEdit on your computer.

You need TablEdit or the Free TefView software to access TEF Files.

So go check out this thread.

1 Like

You’re the best! Thank you. :hugs:

1 Like

Today I was working on some blues turn-arounds and realized I could play them so much faster by using up-down-up-down technique with the pick. What I like about BB’s lessons is that even short ones give you something to apply to other areas of your playing.

3 Likes

Alright @kerrylozito!