Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Mandolin lesson: Soldiers Joy Beginner Mandolin

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/soldiers-joy-beginner-mandolin-mandolin-beginner

Soldier’s Joy has stood the tune test of time for a reason, so let’s learn it! This is a great lesson for those looking to learn to pick mandolin fiddle tunes as we start from the very beginning!

5 Likes

Again, can’t say enough of how great a teacher and how great your lessons are!

5 Likes

Thanks so much, Zach. That really means a lot!

2 Likes

I love to see practice tip #7 being used (keep you instruments handy). I need to convince my mom that an instrument in every room makes it look nicer instead of just having the normal house decorations.

3 Likes

Hey @BanjoBen, you hit a home run for me today. I am limited in what I can do for a few days, and I love these basic fiddle tunes. I had learned an arrangement of Soldier’s Joy long ago on guitar, but this song really fits the mandolin much better. Add to it, that I can learn it on fiddle as a bonus, and that makes it all the better! I keep coming back to fiddle tunes!

2 Likes

@BanjoBen are you adding a subtle swing into this piece? I feel like I hear it ever so often. I jumped over to the intermediate version to see if I could hear it there, but could not.

1 Like

Great question! Yes, just a bit, and probably a bit more than the intermediate version. The faster the tempo, the harder it is to hear the swing.

2 Likes