Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Mandolin lesson: She'll Be Comin' Around The Mountain

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/shell-be-comin-around-the-mountain-mandolin

Not only will we learn the basic melody, but also how to incorporate rhythm into the song as we play the melody!

HI Ben,

The bpm for the MP3s seem to be half of what is in the description. For example when I use a metronome along with the 200bpm mp3, it is more like 100bpm.

It depends on how you’re counting. It is 100BPM if a click happens every half note, or two beats. That’s actually how I prefer it so that the beats are so frequent. But if you count actual beats (4 per measure), it is 200BPM.

TEF file does not match the PDF.

Hi BanjoBen! Looks like there is an error downloading both the PDF and TEF files for “She’ll Be Comin’ Around The Mountain.”

@billdorado
Both just worked fine for me.

Email on it’s way

Dave

2 Likes

Hi. I’m having a heck of a time getting my fingers in position for the open G chord with the ring finger on the fifth fret of the D string. I keep hitting the other strings with my ring finger, or it feels like the fingers are being forced into impossible angles. Hints for how to make it work? Thanks!

1 Like

Hey @shoshana.sloman! Welcome to the forum!

I’d recommend adjusting your wrist position if you are having trouble with chords. You might want to try bending your wrist at more or less of an angle to see if that helps. You also might want to see if standing up using a strap on the mandolin helps.

3 Likes

Hi Shoshana! Welcome!

In addition to Michael_Mark’s advice, do you think you could post a picture or video of you playing the chord(s) that’s giving you trouble? If we can see you playing it, it might help us pinpoint where your trouble is.

5 Likes

I’m having trouble playing this and the first couple of songs on the beginner checklist, and my computer is actually running good this morning?

1 Like

Try turning down the resolution by clicking on the gear icon in the lower right corner of the screen.

1 Like

Great thank you!

Hi Ben, My question concerns the use of rests in SBCATM. I hope this doesn’t come across as nit picking because I am really trying to learn. In my classical guitar background a rest is played as silence and must be in time. This requires a muting technique. In the videos I hear you say “rest” but the pitch rings through that beat. That seems to happen in each instance when a rest occurs. Should I play the rest or just count it and move on not fretting(pardon the pun) the pitch ringing through? Thank you, Bob

Great question @rrbagley44. I’m from a classical piano background and I understand what you’re asking. Most every time there is a rest notated in the tab, the sustain of the note is subjective–it’s the picker’s choice. The reason why I mention and include the rests is for the timing clarification. Most of my students don’t come from a classical background and it’s common for folks to skip beats. The rests help them understand how many beats are in the measure.

2 Likes