Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Mandolin lesson: Pick Exercises

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/pick-exercises-mandolin-beginner

It’s like Crossfit for your pick hand.

Hi there Banjo Ben!
I noticed in the last part of the triplet exercise when we do just one triplet on each string that the first note on each triplet always begins on an up stroke, whereas the other parts follow the down-up-down-up pattern. Just wanted to make sure that’s right.
It’s easier for me to alternate on that last section the same way as the other parts. Is that ok?

Thanks for a great course!
Charlotte

Hey! Actually, the pickstrokes alternate in measures 44-45 just like the rest of them, so you’re good to go!

Great little exercise to get the pick moving right!

I’m a week into the 30 days I decided to use this for warmup and it has helped a lot with speed, economy of motion, and relaxation already.

1 Like

These lessons have been great. I’m trying to break out of the habit of resting my palm on the bridge and it seems to be working. I’m trying to get the pick angle right as well, but when I think I have it right, the pick rotates after a while. Do you continually adjust the pick or is it that I’m just not holing it firm enough?

1 Like

That’s a great question. The pick will still move at times with me but not like it used to. However, some pick surfaces are slippier than others. I will at times use this: https://store.banjobenclark.com/products/gorilla-snot-pick-grip

1 Like

I just received a variety of JT and Dunlop picks from the BB General store. I think having a good pick helps my problem tremendously. I really like the Red Dunlop with the grip. Big improvement.

2 Likes

I used to think alternating pick strokes was terribly inefficient – until I attended a live workshop. “Downstroke” on the beat is so ingrained now, that if I ever get off track (like I misread a note’s duration), it feels SO uncomfortable that I know to get back in step.

So I was horrified to see the middle section of the lesson reverse pick strokes and start the measure on an upstroke. I’m afraid to practice those measure for fear of losing my, now, ingrained pick stoke pattern.

What was your intension for reversing that way? Where would you ever pick that way for real – other than perhaps a series of consecutive triplets (Irish Washer Woman) which warp the rules.

That’s a great and thoughtful question. The intention is to cause you to have to change strings every possible way. This isn’t a pickstrokes exercise, rather a pick hand exercise. It was a way to use the same notes but reverse the mechanics to cover every possible scenario of string-switching.

On a related noted, I am quite the stickler on pickstrokes, until it comes to people like you. When someone arrives at your stage, I ask them to relax and consider breaking rules here and there if it seems helpful (note: this lesson is not a rule breaker, just an exercise, as I explained).

I am working towards that 427bpm. Expect my call someday! :slight_smile:

Great lesson!

3 Likes

Look forward to watching your video submission in the Guinness World Record

2 Likes

In a series of triplets, you play
Down up down
Up down up
Down up down
Up down up
Correct?
Yet I was coached to play
Down up down
Down up down
Etc.
Comments?

1 Like

For me it would really depend on the tempo/groove of the song, as well as what notes/string jumps, ornaments I’m playing.

I think down-up-down down-up-down would be a common Irish picking pattern. When you were coached to play that way, was it a specific style of music you were playing?

1 Like

Yep, depends on the song, where I’m headed next, and speed/groove. Also the style, as I believe Celtic music is traditionally played down up down, down up down.

I can concur that much of the Irish / Scottish Celtic music is played in a down up down, down up down picking pattern. It contains a lot of triplets too.

The Irish Tenor Banjo is tunes just like a mandolin. So be sure to check out Irish Banjo Lessons.