Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Mandolin lesson: O Holy Night

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/o-holy-night-mandolin-advanced

It’s not fast, but there’s a lot going on, and the expression you put in this performance is what makes or breaks it! Give it a try this Christmas season!

6 Likes

This sounds awesome! And “no pick directions, you can do whatever you want” WooHoo, yer speaking my language :grin::rofl:! Can’t wait to try this one!
Thank you

5 Likes

Wow! You took a lot of liberties with that one. Sounds beautiful!

4 Likes

Thank y’all :wink:

2 Likes

I love this tune, I had so much fun learning it on the banjo a few years ago. camel

2 Likes

Now that is the type of lesson that might just get me to crack out the Mandolin

2 Likes

Amazing rendition.

Elements of traditional with many other textures added in. I like the increased pace and pulse of the 2 part (not sure if it classifies as an extension of the Verse or a bridge) with the strumming. The arpeggios are so nicely sprinkled in.

Truly masterful @BanjoBen - with just the right elements of dynamics, melody emphasis and touch as you elegantly weave throughout this piece.

I so want to learn this but am intimidated by the “advanced” rating.

What the heck - I simply cannot resist as I print the tab - RIGHT NOW! :thinking::face_with_hand_over_mouth::facepunch::+1::grin:

2 Likes

Very nice!

1 Like

@WillCoop
Yer back :+1:t2:!
Just do it! I’m currently wrestling with it myself and its been so much fun. Quite addicting actually :grin:! Even though I cant play it well, still makes me happy to hear the sounds of trying to get it right! Progress of a different form I guess…

2 Likes

Just getting started. I am feeling that the 4/4 measure works better for me as 6/8 with 4 dotted eighth notes. Anyone else feeling that?

1 Like

Hi @Simone :grin:

Yes, I am here… as I cannot stay away…

I did print it… and started… but only just started.

Ben makes it look so easy… but I love this hymn.

2 Likes

@Mike_R
Never really thought that out, I reckon I’m not very technical in that aspect. I really like how those 4/4 measures sound mixed in there though, and actually look forward to playing them as they come up :grin:. I’d love to hear how everyone else interprets & plays it…

2 Likes

You know they actually are, but TablEdit was having a fit for whatever reason and cutting off notes when I went to make the pdf and I said to heck with it. It’s 4/4 with a tempo change, hahaha.

1 Like

Good deal. Whatever you have to do to get it to work is the right approach. I thought maybe I was missing something… (not unusual for me). I was trying to switch to 4/4 WITHOUT a tempo change (I was not using TableEdit, just a PDF) and couldn’t get it worked out. Glad to hear it was Tabledit. I wouldn’t want to be the oddball here :slight_smile:

FWIW, Tabledit does have its peculiarities, but I still love that application. It is one of my favorite app purchases that I have made.

1 Like