Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Mandolin lesson: Mandolin Ideal Practice Session

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/mandolin-ideal-practice-session-mandolin-beginner

This is the ideal practice session as it applies to mandolin! A big part of improving is knowing how to practice. The point of this lesson and course is to offer a direction and plan, then you & your mandolin can do the rest!

5 Likes

Where have you been all my life?!?
You really are a great teacher!
You take pride in your work and it shows.
There have been so many A-ha moments for me I was thrilled and frustrated at same time I didn’t learn this stuff years ago.
I wish you were around 30 years ago, seriously.
I’m a new member, and days when I’m at work, I’ll just listen ahead so I know what’s coming.
I’m excited about this journey.
Thank you for taking the time to teach us proper.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Tx-gal. Banjo Ben is the best teacher I’ve found, He is very helpful, caring, and helps at any level. I hope you have as much fun as I have in this journey of learning to play bluegrass.

2 Likes

:sweat_smile:When I first saw this, I thought, “this is way too structured for me”. But I have tried it now for about 4 days and I am already starting to see the value. It keeps me from my worst tendency, which is to try to memorize a lot of tunes at the same time and never getting any of them up to speed or even get them forever imbedded in my memory. It has forced me to go back and really concentrate on getting better. I just hope I’m not too old to start this process

4 Likes

Excellent @wish2flyfish!

1 Like

Thanks for the great structured approach to practice! The overall sequence of sections is great, but I want to especially callout the Audit guidance. The detailed instruction you provided on how to use Audit has been instrumental (pun intended) in helping me methodically work through new skills that I’ve struggled with. Thanks again for making the world a more musical place!!

3 Likes

This is just absolutely brilliant!! I have been playing guitar for several years now but have gotten stuck with my progression. I decided to pick up the mandolin very recently and am so very grateful that I have found your site!! I will be applying these techniques to both instruments, speed test, picking, breaking down the song and especially breaking down a song from where I am struggling rather than only moving in a linear direction. I am super excited to see where I end up in 6 months, 12 months and onwards. Super happy girl here!!

3 Likes

Thanks very much. I have heard good things about practice before, and have tried to apply them, but this box system, already set up, that I can write in, is going to be a big help in applying good concepts. Just delighted! Thanks again.

2 Likes