Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Mandolin lesson: Mandolin Diminished Chords with Penny Lea

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/mandolin-diminished-chords-with-penny-lea-mandolin-advanced

There are some mando chords that move you, and these diminished chords can uplift your backup to new heights!

5 Likes

Yes!

I like the audio insert on the preview… “FIVE!” :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Which guitar was that? Sounded awesome.

1 Like

I just got it, a Martin OM Jeff Daniels Custom

6 Likes

Love this lesson!

3 Likes

Hi Ben, great lesson, will go through it soon…just looked at the pdf with the chord shapes, I think the A-chord shown is actually an A-minor?
Keep picking and I’d love to see the Purple Hulls in Germany again!

3 Likes

Yep, thanks! I’ll get that fixed!

3 Likes

Great lesson Penny and Ben!! Would guitar players be able to do the same thing in backing up? Might make a good lesson for guitar. Thank you both!!
Jerry Scribner

4 Likes

Got it fixed, thanks!

2 Likes

Ben, I am getting an error when I click the chord chart in this lesson?

1 Like

I just tried it and it worked for me. What kind of error?

What tune is it you are playing on this lesson please?

1 Like

Just a Closer Walk with Thee.

Welcome Ken!

2 Likes

Thanks!

3 Likes

Concerning the diminished chord mando lesson, is there an enharmonic chord associated with the diminished chord?

2 Likes

I think it depends on if you choose to leave a note out, but that’s a great question for @DrGuitar1!

2 Likes

This question requires some definitions before we can answer it. The term “enharmonic chord” is a bit of a misnomer. In music, enharmonic refers to a note (interval or chord) that has two different names but sounds the same. For example, the enharmonic note related to C# is Db. Again, two different names but the same sound. So the major chord: C#, E#, G# could be enharmonicly spelled Db, F, Ab. The questions is, “Why would someone want to spell the chord one way or the other?”. The answer is that you want notes and chords of a specific piece to make sense compared to other notes and chords in the piece. In other words, you would not use a C# in the melody over a Db major chord being played at the same time; that would be confusing to the reader. So the question “ is there an enharmonic chord associated with the diminished chord?” in this context is asking if diminished chords can be spelled enharmonicly differently. As Ben alluded to, it also depends on what you mean by diminished chord. As a jazz player, folks generally think of diminished chords as diminished 7th chords or fully diminished chords. This is a chord with all stacked minor 3rd intervals (Root or 1, b3, b5, bb7). In such a case, all of the notes could be the root, HOWEVER, the spelling or actual notes would use enharmonic spellings depending on which note is in the root position. For example, the diminished 7th chord G#, B, D, F, would be spelled B, D, F, Ab if the B is to be considered the root position of the chord. In that case the enharmonic of G# (Ab) would be used since you are following the 1, b3, b5, bb7 spelling of the diminished 7th chord.

Is that what you meant by your question or are you asking something altogether different?

4 Likes

So your sister and your daughter also play mandolin. Can I be adopted into your family? I’m only 59 and need a good home-will work for lessons. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Ha!

2 Likes

I appreciate this lesson so much, Penny and Ben! I have been working on this since St. Pete camp and it’s just what I needed to better understand when to use diminished chords. More mando lessons like this, please!

2 Likes