Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Mandolin lesson: Learn to Play in Any Key: Expand Your Territory

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/learn-to-play-in-any-key-expand-your-territory-mandolin-intermediate

This is the 2nd lesson in my course: Learn to Play in Any Key! Now that you’ve found your bearings, it’s time to expand your territory and put these licks in practice!

8 Likes

Did SD card problem also crash the tab and MP3 files?

WHOA BEN!! Ya just busted me out of the intermediate doldrums! Thank YOU SO MUCH! Joe

3 Likes

Nope, those are there and good to go! You may need to refresh your browser page.

That’s what I love to hear! I believe this is one of my best lessons if you can stick with me.

1 Like

Hey Ben, what speed are the MP3s at and is there any way to change them? Thanks!

Welcome to the forum Kyle!
You can change speeds by downloading the MP3 into your device and then putting it into a speed control software such as
Amazing Slow Downer

2 Likes

I use Audacity to slow down Mp3 using the Change Tempo feature found in the Effects Menu

@BanjoBen How can I find the “Find your bearings” lesson. I can’t search on your page. Thanks. Dan

1 Like

Hi @Dan_Rico Is this what your looing for?

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/learn-to-play-in-any-key-find-your-bearings-mandolin-intermediate

1 Like

Yes. It is. Thanks.

2 Likes

I absolutely love this lesson. Seems like the more time I spend with it, the more I begin to understand. Is there a similar lesson for the Guitar?

Great! Not that I know of, but I know a guy…

6 Likes

This is a super lesson. It really gives you the ability to play all over the fret board and it gets you thinking about where to play the 1-4-5 so you can get every note. However, I am wondering if the next lesson could be on how to take this information and make it sound like the melody of the song you are wanting to play along with. And about the fastest and easiest way to determine what key a song is being played in - if you are wanting to jam with a video or other source music.

2 Likes

The key is normally played as the last note of a piece.

2 Likes

This has been a very helpful lesson for me and I continue to repeat the videos and work on switching keys! I am slow at learning this stuff so repeat, repeat, repeat! I was very familiar with the concepts taught but the clear, simple to understand lessons brought it all together for me! I am now curious where to go with this? Any suggestions on a next lesson or how to best put this to use?

3 Likes

Great questions. You can start applying these techniques now to songs you already solo over (ask questions here if you need help), and also know that I’m not finished with this course. I hope to add more in the coming weeks!

2 Likes

Thank you! I have been trying to use it with some I already know! Again, slow process for me but it is definitely helping! Looking forward to more!

2 Likes

thanks for these lessons, I’ve been playing a long time but I never learned a lot of fundamentals and this is helping me understand how to navigate the neck, because I’d get lost sometimes and would have to wait to catch up and have long rest/pauses in my playing . Thanks so much

2 Likes

I’ve also been trying to mix and match the north and south licks each time to change it up !

2 Likes