Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Mandolin lesson: Joy To The World- Basic

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/joy-to-the-world-basic-mandolin

Merry Christmas to all! This is a basic version of this popular Christmas tune based off some G scale licks. Whether it’s frosty outside or not, this version will get your fingers warmed up, and you can take these licks anywhere you go!

Hi Ben, I love this tune and have it down about 95%. Two clarifications needed; first, if I want to repeat the tune, I just finish the last two measures (one whole note) replacing it with the lead-in notes, is that correct?

Second, I am having difficulty using the mp3 recording. After I hear you call it in, I don’t know; do I start with the lead in notes or the first note of the tune? In the meantime I’ve just gone back to your gear icon and am playing along at a faster speed.

I tried out the tune yesterday at a regular jam session, but there was only one beginner guitar player so I did a semi decent job despite an irregular rhythm, but far from close to perfect!

Thanks for any input. Marian

It really depends on how you’re coming back around to the first part of the verse.If it’s quick, just let that last G note ring out for the rest of the measure and then go back to the 3rd (skip the intro) measure and play it all again. If you’re playing it where a couple of measures are inserted in between each verse, you’d have plenty of time to work the intro back in again.

I hear what you mean. Ben is usually really good about not talking over the lead in notes, but it sounds like he did on this one. So, you hear Ben say “1 - 2 - 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, ready, go!” To make it work, you want to start your intro on the 1 of 1, 2, ready, go. Just play over that part. If that doesn’t work for you, let me know. I’ll create a file that inserts some silence in there so it feels right.

2 Likes

Thank you, @Mark_Rocka, for answering these questions from @marianandmark!

AWESOME! It works great the way you explained it. I’m noticing if I end the tune on the whole note, I want to go higher up the scale, but if I use the lead-in notes I’m on track.

I’m fairly proficient at about 130 bpm, so I still have some work to do to get the speed going smoothly.

I’m interested in trying out the tef tab, but I’m using my iPad for my lessons. It directs me to getting the $6 app for it, but the reviews are less than favorable. Are you finding that to be the case? Is that because of the iPad format? Its seems to be a great help when I read other member’s comments.

Thanks again!

Good to hear. The app you want is called TEFView. It should be free in the App Store. I’m not sure what perks you get with the $6 version, but the freebie should do what you need for viewing lessons. I use it on my iPhone now and then.

Somehow I got directed to TEFpad, not TEFview. Just found found it in the App Store (with much better reviews) so will give it a whirl!

2 Likes

This is my 3rd Christmas season of trying to play along with the mp3 tracks, even after reading the helpful suggestions. Would you please consider overlaying the first 4-5 measures of mandolin on the slowest track and then fading out? Thank you,.

I have a confession to make:

On the 8th bar I can not stop using my thumb to fret the A on the 2nd fret.

I spent decades developing the thumb ala Merle Travis for his repertoire. As I sight read the tune my thumb automatically says, “Oooo that’s my note! I got this one!”

I play it cleaner with my thumb than my index finger lol.

End of confession

2 Likes

@drizz Daniel The only advice I can offer is ‘cut it off!’ JUST KIDDING:rofl:

2 Likes

If you CAN play it either way, then I say play it the way you want. :+1:

Just my opinion (I am a thumb wrapper as well, but I don’t think I have done it on mandolin for whatever reason).

1 Like

The thumb has a mind of it’s own. lol I’m making progress though. Glad to have others to bounce thoughts off of.

Cheers

1 Like