Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Mandolin lesson: Jamming in G

You’re so very welcome, @petetreault!

Correct, I’m just asking you to aim for that tonic when the chord changes, but the subsequent measures can be any note in the scale, actually. The point of this is to get you aiming for something intentionally–note that in real life you will not be necessarily aiming for the root.

1 Like

I agree… having a blast using arpeggios to jam! Glued my Key of Bb arpeggios together and away I go! You’re a genius!

Great lesson. I’ll definitely be dedicating some time to this.

I’d love to see a video version of the jam track using the same type of chord overlays you used in the lessons. Basically, the included MP3’s, but with visual indicators like the 11 44 55 on the screen, and maybe the guitar players left hand for another cue and to help identify the chords as well? The jam tracks help, and just playing along with the lesson is great, but I find there’s a lot of cues you can pick up with your eyes as well as your ears. A couple minute long video designed to be looped and played along with would really fit my learning style.

1 Like

Make sure to check out my PickAlong video series where we do that very thing!

2 Likes

This was my first lesson and I really enjoyed it. I’m a self taught guitar player and I recently picked up the ukulele and mandolin. The interactive nature of the videos is much more engaging than the tab books I purchased. Looking forward to digging in further.

Oh yeah, and I LOVE this Northfield Calhoun that I purchased from you. What a beautiful instrument! So fun to jam along with y’all. Thank you!

5 Likes

Welcome Christopher @monk !!
Dont be shy on the forum!
Fellow Northfield picker here, :grin::+1: love their mandos !

2 Likes

Thank you for your support of the site and the kind words, @monk!