Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Mandolin lesson: Forked Deer

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/forked-deer-mandolin

This is a classic fiddle tune in the key of D that is a lot of fun to play. I built it very basic so beginner players could not only learn a version, but also learn to fill in the melody with 8th notes. Enjoy!

4 Likes

Great lesson. I am enjoying it. I am an experienced player in Celtic but just learning in old time and bluegrass Thanks. Enjoying the course. Not my favorite genre, but I have to get along with others !! LOL

4 Likes

Welcome to the Forum Michael!

Stop by often now you know we are here! :+1:

3 Likes

Fun song! I am brand new to the mandolin, and I keep on messing up with the pick direction, especially when I switch strings or when they throw a quarter note into a series of eighth notes. I’m trying to be aware of it so I don’t develop bad habits, but it sure is hard!

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum Shad!

Hang in there! You’re thinking about it in the right way.

It gets easier as you get more used to it.

Dave

2 Likes

Welcome @Shad!

Pull up a chair and stay awhile…

… and come back often!

1 Like

Love this lesson and tune! Two things I got hung up on, though, while learning.

1. It would be awesome to have the ol’ three-times-through on the backing track instead of just one AABB then tag. I ended up going out to find a couple other good ones on the YouTubes that were 3 and 4 times through. All the starting and stopping of one time through makes it difficult to get in the flow tryna work up a sweat in the proverbial woodshed!

2. My typical approach to Ben’s lessons is to listen a couple times for the melody and then attack the tab for a few days. I realized after two weeks of tab and backing tracks only that I’d been playing it “a bit off” because… seems this here tune is supposed to be played with a swing beat! It would be great to have this noted or mentioned somewhere so others like me don’t miss that in the future.

Thanks for the excellent tutelage, Ben and team!

2 Likes

Yep, I agree! I’ve started doing more run throughs in my lessons over the last year. I do recommend a program called The Amazing Slowdowner at https://www.ronimusic.com/ , allows you to loop and control speed/key of any audio file. Also, don’t forget that the .tef files allow you to do this as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzS9NxVuNbg

I have to say that it is subjective whether to add swing beat or not. Most fiddle tunes sound better with it and I find myself applying varying degrees. Ultimately it’s up to you! Thanks and honored to have you on the site, @Sohl!

2 Likes

That does look like a lot of fun. Will you be doing a banjo lesson for this tune?

1 Like

I so enjoy revisiting some lessons I play on occasion but have not seen the lesson in a long while!

They are like old friends… familiar and somewhat comfortable (even if I cannot play it as cleanly as this).

Plus, there is always some nuance that I have overlooked or that I notice… a lesson renewed.

I am so thankful for this site! Thanks @BanjoBen for all you’ve done.

1 Like

I’ll put it on the list!

Alan Munde has a cool version (of course). It was in Banjo Newsletter a while back. (February 1984)

3 Likes

In the last measure of the tab for Forked Deer, there are two arrows with a “B” underneath each of them. I’m not familiar with that notation, but I’m guessing it means to strum across all of the strings. What does the “B” represent?

1 Like

Hi Douglas welcome to @BanjoBen’s Forum. The B stands for Brush- Strum across all the strings. If it had an R it would be Rake or Up Strum

Hi Archie. Thanks for the reply. Now that I know what they are … I’ll try to keep my Bs & Rs straight!

1 Like

Hi Douglas always happy to help where I am able.

I chose this song to get me out of my rut that I’ve been stuck in. It has widened my ability already and has challenged me to play more precisely!
I’m 61 and just picked up the Mando 5 months ago. Not easy when you’re older, but I’m making progress! Thank you!

5 Likes

Hi Bruce I started learning to play banjo at 61 I am now 75. My early years were a struggle. Then I discovered @BanjoBen and things really took off for me. You are in THE BEST resource for learning on the WWW.

2 Likes