Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Mandolin lesson: Exploring Backup- Ballads in E

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/exploring-backup-ballads-in-e-mandolin-intermediate

I love playing pretty backup in ballads! Let’s learn how to get around in the key of E and make the people smile!

8 Likes

The idea for this lesson came from playing with my friend on a ballad in E this week. Here are some of the same ideas used in Boone’s song, “Sinner’s Creek.” I hadn’t heard the song in several years and this is the first time we ran it so I’m a bit timid, but the licks work and are tasty (and not too much!). I’d rather play too little than too much.

Boone (Daniel Epperson) is one of the most talented guys I know–singer, songwriter, and a stellar guitar picker. He’s also active duty soldier (JFO) and about to head off to Ranger school. This is one of my favorite tunes of his called “Sinner’s Creek,” an allegorical ballad about giving the old man to Jesus and becoming a new creation (2 Corinthians 5:17).

12 Likes

Beautiful!

5 Likes

The preview sounds fantastic, I am definitely putting that on my lessons to do list @BanjoBen

4 Likes

Wow what a treasure trove of material to work with!! Just last nite, I attended an open jam session I’ve not been to since July. There were alot of new faces, and most songs I’d never heard before. And 5 of them (yes FIVE!) were in E. It freaked me out a bit, but I survived! This lesson will be a valuable tool for sure! Thanx!! :grin::+1:t2:

7 Likes

Hi @BanjoBen that was just so beautiful, Are you planing to do a Banjo Backup Lesson in E ?

5 Likes

@BanjoBen,

This “Sinner’s Creek” was beautiful… Wow.

I thought to reach out to see if you have heard from Boone? I am praying he is well an succeeding in Ranger School. I salute him!

4 Likes