Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Mandolin lesson: D Major Scale Study

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/d-major-scale-study-mandolin-beginner

Many diddies have domiciles in the delightful domain of D…so let’s learn all about it! I’ll give you the theory you need, along with the application you’ll love. Let’s go!

2 Likes

Awww, sweet, I love the key of Dog! :). Tim O’Brien does a lot of D stuff I 'm going to try this on. I’m working on “seeing” these transitions up the neck faster, over scales, and having a back up plan, when I get lost in a jam.

I learn tunes, unfortunately, the jam groups don’t always play them the way I learned them, lol. What about a lesson on what to do when you get lost playing your lead in a jam session?

4 Likes

Great idea, thanks!

4 Likes

Another wonderful lesson - @BanjoBen !

I consider myself an intermediate player at this point… but for ME, this lesson holds real “next-level” value when identifying the exact moment for the open-E string shift inside the 2 octave, circular pattern. While it is logical (as the last possible time that tone is used in the exercise), it is so applicable to real-time playing scenarios.

This is why I enjoy and appreciate Ben’s effective teaching methods so much… first, to thoroughly and patiently teach the scale (solid), then the 2 Octave w/ shift (fundamental), next the arpeggio position recognition (excellent) and THEN the “string theory” application of the circular 2-Octave scale… kicks this whole lesson up a notch (enlightening)… and speed drills for dexterity. Finally, the ear training application inside the D scale is where we realize a “level-up” in applying the whole study (transformational)…

… all in ONE purposeful and brilliantly crafted lesson - start to finish.

As an intermediate, I appreciate “going back to basics” to practice a thorough D study… and then pulling out “nuggets of truth” buried in this study to really understand their importance is amazing.

WHAT A POWERFUL LESSON for beginner and intermediate alike (at least, in my humble opinion)! :+1::facepunch:

1 Like