Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Mandolin lesson: Cherokee Shuffle

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/cherokee-shuffle-mandolin

I’ve taught this song on banjo and guitar, then one of my members reminded me that I hadn’t taught it on mandolin! Shame on me! So, here’s a great intermediate version of this classic fiddle tune in the key of A. I know you’re gonna love it!

Line 14 (sliding from the G to the B) I still struggle with. I’m using the correct fingering and know where to stop, but I keep under or overshooting the ninth fret. When I do nail it, it’s easy to finish the phrase, so thankfully that’s not an issue. I’m just trying to get the muscle memory and will continue to work at it, but wondered if you had any helpful hints.

Also a struggle with line 11-12 getting the Triplett to work smoothly.
And line 31 is difficult, but that’s just a matter of working the stretch.
All in all, I like this version, and I’m thankful I already can play this tune, albeit a basic version. I’m a long way from speed and fluency (only about 40% on TEF tab) although I can get the 160bpm with my basic version.

1 Like

This is a TOUGH one, don’t forget! The 5 to 9 slide took me a long while to get “fluent” on, so don’t give up!

@BanjoBen,

There’s that sliding up the neck… but heck, this looks like advanced intermediate… if there was such a thing.

I’m willing to give this a go, but it will be awhile… a long while, I’m sure…

…but sure is purdy nifty pickin’!

1 Like

Ok. I am stuck on playing rhythm chords here . G#, F#min where can I find the fingering?

1 Like

Hi Linda, welcome to the Forum!

Try these out and let me know if they work. for you or not.

F%20sharp%20minor

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! Do you know how to play a normal F chord on mandolin? If so, move it up one fret and it should make an F#m (but only if the a string is open, but I don’t want to confuse you with that, so ignore this sentence)

Gunnar means
first string - 2nd finger - second fret
second string open
third string - third finger - 4th fret
fourth string - fourth finger - 6th fret.

In other words from your A chop chord drop down three frets and lift your first finger.

This would probably be the easiest way to get this F Sharp minor chord in this circumstance.

hope this helps

1 Like

Exactly what Dave said, except I would use my first second and third fingers. But maybe that’s just me

I was just thinking of hand economy. Basically using the same chord shape moved down the neck.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Thank you. I am trying all of these, at a slow pace to see which movements are easier.

3 Likes