Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Mandolin lesson: Beaumont Rag

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/beaumont-rag-mandolin

This is a great version of this parking lot favorite in the key of “C.” I especially like the B part, where we learn some really cool crosspicking licks that can be used in other songs as well!

Hi Banjo Ben Clark. First, thank you for your love of music and love of teaching! I think you are awesome and this really shows through. You are such an awesome and precise player…you are quite inspirational.

Hey, I do have a question though. I do not seem to be able to download the lessons to view off-line when I go my cabin. Does the lesson download (of the videos) work and are there any instructions? I click on the button but only get the hour glass and it say’s download in progress but this never seen to download anything.

Thanks again for ALL YOU DO!!! You’re just great Man.

1 Like

Thanks! You can store one lesson at a time in your browser’s cache file, though it must be an updated browser, preferably Chrome. To access it, you must not have internet signal. Please check out this video demonstrating the process:

Thanks Ben for posting this nice version and its great that you post TEF files. In my local Jam scene people generally do this in D but TablEdit’s transpose feature handled it well :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi Peter!

Welcome to the forum!

Dave

This is… AWESOME. This is above my current ability level but I really want to learn this. Then again, maybe it isn’t ever to early to start. All I know, it sounds so cool - on mandolin and Banjo :banjo: !

1 Like

Any chance you could easily transcribe the tab for this to the key of D? :grimacing:

@Jordan_Schupbach

HI Jordan & welcome to the forum! Maybe this will help?

Welcome to the board, Jordan!

I was just about to suggest what FiddleWood said. Sometimes the TEF reader / TablEdit doesn’t do a good job transposing, but this mandolin tab looks pretty good at a glance.

I went ahead and saved a copy of the transposed TEF file in case your reader doesn’t do transposing. See what you think.

Edit
Ugh! The board won’t let me upload. Send me your email in a PM if you’d like the transposed TEF file and I’ll send it to you.

1 Like

“The faster you play the harder it is to get the swing feel.” Oh yeah. I’m so glad to hear someone acknowledge that. Are there any tricks to doing this (keeping the right feel as I/we play faster), or is it just a matter of steadily ramping up the speed and being conscious of maintaining the right rhythm.

1 Like

Yep, you got it! You’re on the right track @Timmy

LISTENING - Is also key. Listen for the spaces between the notes. This is something I learned from Ron Block’s DVD “A Fresh Look At Bluegrass Banjo.” Yes I know your query is about mandolin but the same theory applies.

1 Like

Agreed. This is exactly why I read/watch the posts and videos for guitar and banjo though I play mando. Lots of info crosses over…

1 Like