Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Mandolin lesson: Basic Mandolin Rhythm- Part 7

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/basic-mandolin-rhythm-part-7-mandolin-beginner

Are you sure it’s not past your bedtime? Oh well, let’s keep going.

Boy…am I having trouble getting the hang of this basic rhythm pattern. I sort of know what I’m supposed to be doing but the minute I try to string all of it together to play the tune, it all goes horribly wrong and it’s back to the drawing board! Anyway, it got me thinking Ben…which of the instruments - guitar, banjo or mandolin, did you find the most difficult to get to grips with. Tell me it was the mandolin. PLEASE!!! Liz

1 Like

I sympathize with you, I do!

Welcome to the club Liz!

To be honest, all instruments have challenges involved when learning them…at least the 5 I play all have.

If you were to browse forums on learning other instruments you’d find that students have challenges and “speed bumps” across the board at all levels on all instruments…you are not alone!

Learning to play takes time and patience. Sometimes we can let ourselves get frustrated when we expect better or faster results than we are getting…put in the time practicing and results will come, eventually.

Learn to enjoy the journey, and don’t be too hard on yourself if you don’t get something right away…it’s all part of the process.

Best of luck on your musical journey,

Dave

That is completely normal.
You want to get the rhythm down first with your pick hand before adding in chord changes
-and that just takes repetition.
work on it for a few minutes a day until you can do it at your desired speed without having to think about it -then you will be ready to add chord changes.