Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Mandolin lesson: Basic Mandolin Rhythm- Part 3

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/basic-mandolin-rhythm-part-3-mandolin-beginner

We’re getting the hang of it now.

1 Like

Just to make sure that I’m understanding this technique as I don’t hear Ben actually say it during the lesson but it looks like he’s lifting his fingers from the strings to deaden the sound after each strum. Is that correct? Is there anything else to that particular technique other than a slight lifting of the fingers?

LOL. I guess I should have waited until I watched the next lesson to ask my question.

2 Likes

My little guy, 7 yrs old has super tiny hands…any suggestions for these hard to reach areas? Thanks…inexperienced momma with eager 7 yr old… :slight_smile:

Hi Angella,

It takes time (patience) and some muscle development to reach these positions with relative ease…as Ben says in the video: it doesn’t matter much who you are or the size of your hands…it takes effort (and time) for everyone to learn these positions.

I have quite long fingers and can still recall the sore muscle down the side of my hand from learning to stretch my pinky out to that far fret…and I was already fully grown, and a guitar player!

It might be a good idea to take a picture or video of your son attempting making a chord or two and putting it up here or sending it to Ben via email…that way Ben could see how he is positioning his hand and might have advice on anything your son may need to correct on his hand placement or angle to make it easier for him.

hope this helps

Dave

1 Like

Even though that is a very common chord shape if it is just currently undoable for your child than he can do fine without it.
I have managed to play for the past 12 years or so without using it much (although I can if I really want to) If he keeps working at it he will eventually be able to do it.

It gives the G a bit more depth but but I usually just skip that first string.
But it is good to make your hand stretch (especially if you are playing in certain keys like Bb)
So I would never suggest not trying.

I would encourage him to keep stretching! Ha! It is amazing what little hands can do when they get used to it. Until then, the more open chords are fine. I’ll try to address this in a lesson soon!

I have lanky fingers so muting the E string when playing the C & D chop chords has been troubling me. I can manage if I use the pad of my finger instead of the tip to press the note on my first finger. However, I fear that this may result in me picking up a bad habit or two as I progress.

Does anyone have any tips to help that have helped them? I could learn to play just the lower 3 strings or mute the E string with my pinkie.

1 Like

I use the base of my index, just let it curl up close and mute.

3 Likes

I have small hands for a guy, not as small as a 7 year old though I am sure. It took some time but after awhile it became second nature. I kept practicing it for a few minutes a day and one day I just had it. A good way to get into the shape in the beginning, I found, is to start by placing the pinky finger first, then the ring finger, then index followed by middle. Doing it that way really helped. After awhile it becomes natural. Trust me!

1 Like