Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Mandolin lesson: Bag O' Licks in C

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/bag-o-licks-in-c-mandolin

I offer you 10 hot licks in the key of “C”! These work GREAT for playing in the key of C, but also in other keys that use a C chord in the progression (G, F, etc.). These licks work mighty fine as solo licks, but I especially like them for filling in when folks are singing. Enjoy!

I’m having trouble with the first lick’s up/down picking pattern. After the hammer on, my hand wants to pick up instead of down. As a result, the last note is up instead of down. Is it critical to pick it the way you have it?

Great question!

The last note of the lick is on the downbeat of the measure it is in, and should be played with a down stroke. so it’s fairly important to play the pick directions Ben has provided.

If I can make a suggestion…try playing it without the hammer-on at first and see if you can get the pick direction straightened out.

If not, you might just try playing the pick motions on the strings without the fingering until it feels natural, then add the left hand in.

It can always help to play VERY slowly when first learning something also.

hope this helps

Dave

2 Likes

Yeah, I worked on it for quite some time last night, going very slowly. It’s starting to get a little more natural. It’s a difficult hammer-on to get some true sound to come out.
Thanks, Fiddlewood!

2 Likes

Great advice! You can do it, @marianandmark!

1 Like

After several days of practice, I’m really improving. I’m a big fan of Lick#9, but I found it hard to incorporate into my jam session today. I could remember about 4 others and had no trouble with those, but #9 I all I could successfully do was to use the first half of it. Are there a couple of specific songs I could use the whole lick?
By the way, I use the website www.fbbts.com for a fun way to practice these. Besides the great selection of songs, you can select a backing track for just a key.
This has been a fun lesson!

1 Like

I think #9 would sound good to start a break on Little Rock Getaway!

1 Like

Well that’s a pretty cool tune, I’d never heard it before now!

1 Like

New to the forum here. Curious about lick # 7. Is there a reason when you’re near the end of the lick that you go get the A note with your pinky on the D string instead of playing it open on the A string? Other than strengthening the pinky? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@dleer
Hi Daniel,

Did you watch the video?

Ben is not using his pinky. when you slide up on the first notes with your third finger you stay in that position (1st finger on 3, 2nd finger on 5, and 3rd finger on 6 or 7 fret) for the remainder of the lick. You would use the 3rd finger for that A note.

Hope this helps.

Dave

2 Likes

Yep, @Fiddle_wood nailed it!

But to answer your question, I will sometimes do that for the tone. The fretted A note sounds different than an open A string so there are times when I prefer that. Thanks! Happy to have you on the forum!

2 Likes

Ah, gotcha, I see now that it’s the ring finger.

2 Likes

And thanks both of you for the prompt response!

2 Likes