Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Mandolin lesson: Angeline the Baker Build-a-Break

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/angeline-the-baker-build-a-break-mandolin

I’ve got two breaks for classic fiddle tune in D. The first is a basic, low break that sticks really close to the melody. The second takes the melody up an octave adding triplets and up-the-neck tricks! I have the banjo and mandolin soloed at full speed in case you wanna play a duet with me!

Love the versions. I do like to try to learn by ear. I really appreciate when you record just a solo with no rhythm. You do that on some lessons, but not all of them.

1 Like

One of the challenges for me playing this break is to silence the open D string when I’m cross picking – to keep it from ringing out. Assume you are using your thumb to do this – not the palm?

Actually, I don’t want it to be silenced. I like for it to ring out and create a drone effect. I’m not touching the strings at all with my picking (right) hand.

Hey @BanjoBen Ben, I had worked the basic melody up on this before I came here but went straight to your advanced lesson last night. Man you really opened up some really cool ideas for me and especially on the B part with the triplets etc. Thank you so much, now I’m seeing this great tune in a whole new light

3 Likes

Great to hear, thanks!

oh boy…I try to make a Belgium version of this song…;-)!

2 Likes

Hey David! Welcome to the board!

I don’t know what a Belgium version would sound like, but I’m eager to hear it. Looking forward to your interpretation.

2 Likes