Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Mandolin lesson: Alternate Mandolin Rhythm–Key of G

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/modern-mandolin-rhythm-key-of-g-mandolin-intermediate

We’re familiar with the 4-finger mandolin chop, but is there another way to play rhythm? There is, and we’re gonna learn all about the technique, theory, and application in the key of G!

9 Likes

Needed this one. Really good and useful lesson!! :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Great news! THANK YOU BEN!!
This will help alot of folks! :+1:t2:
It also means I’m now legal to play this a way! :rofl::grin:
It’s funny now, but I have been questioned by the BG police… :thinking::grin::rofl:
Partial chords is all I play for backup.

In case some Mandolin Folk didnt see this (it was originally posted under Banjo - I was backing up @Severin 's Banjo post), here’s a link that shows partial chops in action. It’s not as clean as it should be, & I think I’m going to try & tweak my method for dampening fingers (like Ben does). In this vid I mixed up chops & more open chords to get the end sound I wanted. Conveniently, it’s also in key of G (like this lesson) but there is one A chord in there. Hope this helps to show how I get by not doing big chops…

5 Likes

I really really like this approach. That explains some things I have heard that I didn’t know what they were doing. Thanks!

BTW, that origin looks cool and sounds good as well.

5 Likes

Now that I’ve been watching and practicing this lesson for a couple of weeks. I must say that it is one of the best mando lessons altogether and great at helping establish a good foundation. For those of you who haven’t looked yet, check it out. I guarantee it will be worth some quality time.

6 Likes