Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the lesson: The Ideal Practice Session

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/the-ideal-practice-session-beginner

In our practice sessions, we often wonder what to practice, or get caught in a pattern of playing the same old things. The second lesson in the Theory of Practice course will solve those problems as we examine an ideal practice session!

6 Likes

Awesome lesson! I love a thought-out process to a “perfect” practice session.

1 Like

just what i needed! THANK YOU!

A great topic so far Ben, I am enjoying the lessons. I am unconsciously carrying out some of the steps but you are definitely filling in the holes and making it a conscious action. Looking forward to the next part.

Thanks for the boot in the ass. A wise mentor once told me to “plan your work, work your plan”. Now I’m retired and it works like “plan your play, work your plan.” I do believe I (like most of us) need the structure of a plan, and yours looks like a great place to start. Thanks for the boot.

Really good stuff Ben, especially for a beginner. You actually reinforced some of the things I was (unknowingly)
already doing just as a matter of structure and boredom prevention. However, you’ve now provided detailed structure that I can use to move forward with some confidence. Took notes and have made a poster of the
11 Practice Tips.
Thanks again.

From part 1, I wrote out my short term, mid term and long term goals. I think it’s probably a good idea to glance at those before even beginning to warm up for actual practice.

Very often, my daily practice is split into a couple of sessions across the day. Would it be better to shorten each section so I can fit all 6 of them into each session, or should I do half of the sections in the first practice, then the rest in the second?

Banjo Ben, may I ask two question? I’m on the beginning banjo track, and I’m curious how we integrate the lessons into the practice schedule. For example, I am working on the G-Lick Video.

For my calibrate, should I be doing the G-lick tab at a speed where I can accurately play it? Then, under expand, should I be pushing the tempo on that?

How do we fit in songs we’ve already know how to play but need to bring up to a faster tempo? I can play “Worried Man Blues” and “You are My Sunshine” well at 100 bpm, but I need to raise my speed. It seems if I try to fit G-lick and those two songs into the 10-minute expand segment, then something’s going to get short-changed.

Learning fun new songs would be under “Explore & Review?”

My advice would be a hybrid of those two options. Do you need to warmup the 2nd time around? Then, warmup again. Did your first session leave you at a place where you know right where to pick up? Then, pick up from there. Great question.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply. I like the hybrid option!
Today’s practice was split with the “Expand” part divided between the two sessions.

I have to say that following the outline left me feeling my practice was so much more focused - especially the Audit part - I can’t wait for more!

2 Likes

I’ve been looking for something like this my whole musical life… So helpful. Thanks Ben!

4 Likes

Thanks for this lesson! My practice sessions are usually just playing the same songs over and over. I’m so excited to start this new method of practicing!

4 Likes

@BanjoBen, what would you recommend for those who have multiple instruments? In a day would you practice one after another or split them up during the day? Or would you practice one every day? Thank you!

1 Like

That’s tough to say, just depends on your time available and goals you have for each instrument. I used to have time to practice all of them, but I just don’t anymore.

2 Likes

Thank you @BanjoBen ! I felt like you could, but at the same time I didn’t want to feel like cramming.

BanjoBen, great lesson for sure and im looking forward the further lessons in the series. Which Full Focus planner are you using?

1 Like

I use the one by Michael Hyatt here: https://fullfocus.co/planner/

1 Like

Well this is kind of embarrassing seeing everyone else is totally grasping this and is further along. But when practicing with albums I’m still not sure what key they are in or what they are changing too. How do I get there? And I’m no where near ready for improvisation :exploding_head: …I’m still trying to learn my scales 🫣 Maybe I missed something somewhere? I’ve been going through each video and ( sub video ) I thought anyway.
Do you have any suggestions?

2 Likes

Hi @Tx-gal Angie

Trust me Angie your not alone. I have been studying banjo for 15 years and I struggle to find The Key a tune is in if it’s not in G, C, D or A. So don’t be too hard on yourself. Thankfully most bluegrass tunes fall within these four Key’s. If a man is the vocalist generally the Key is G if a woman it’s often C

A few Bluegrass Standards are played in the Key of Bb, F & E

Some of Earl Scruggs early tunes were recorded in G#

I hope this is of some help. But I too live in hope that someone can offer a better way of helping to determine what Key a tune is in.

2 Likes