Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the lesson: Speed Test

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/speed-test-beginner

Just how fast are ya? Yes, bluegrass can be fast, but that’s not all we’re striving for. In this lesson I’ll teach you how to break down your playing and get faster at the small things, which will automatically make you faster overall. This is the last lesson in the Theory of Practice Course!

6 Likes

Sounds great! I look forward to it!

A great wake up slap for me. 8 months in and I “dabble around 110-120 with no metronome. Many times it ends up as a hot mess. I like the discipline of this lesson. Headed to my banjo now to slow things down.

Thanks for the lesson!

2 Likes

I really enjoyed this. As a “former” triathlete, we had all kinds of drills, splits, tapers, and exercises to build form, all with the goal of increasing times. In my case, I was trying to increase my odds of just finishing, :slight_smile: But we all kept detailed journals of each day/week/month work outs, times, and speed. Lot’s of parallels to this. Thanks!

1 Like

Awesome lesson! I love this site, it has been so helpful!

1 Like

Heads up that I just added a speed test worksheet to help you keep track of progress.

6 Likes

Awesome! Thank you!

This was really eye-opening to practice improvisation at slow speeds to get your ideas out and then speed them up. Great stuff. I hadn’t thought about how many good ideas I might be missing because I’m not giving myself time to think as I play. Thanks Ben!

1 Like

This lesson on practice has really helped me to define my practice sessions. And I’ve played for 35 years now on guitar and 31 years on mandolin. What I’ve realized is that, from this lesson, for the past 30+ years during practice I’ve been dooding and not practicing intentionally! Thanks Ben for helping me define my practice time. Great lesson for beginners and veterans!

2 Likes

I can’t remember if he said it in the video, but this would be in the explore section, correct?

1 Like

I save it for the end, typically, in the review.

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Mr. Ben, 8 - 1/8 notes in 1 click?

1 Like

I went back and listened to it, and I believe it is only 4 -1/8th notes per click(beat), that way it doubles the speed. I’m sure that @BanjoBen will answer as soon as he gets a chance.

Hi @cd74852 Chris welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum

So just to recap Chris

A measure consists of one WHOLE note or two HALF notes.

In 4/4 timing there are 4 beats in the Barre - Measure. i.e. That means four quarter notes 1/4
There are 8 1/8th notes in a measure
There are 16 1/16th notes in a measure
There are 32 1/32nd notes in a measure
or a combination of the above which may include rests of similar durations.
I hope this helps clarify your query.

For a more in-depth study I encourage you to follow @Mr_G Paige Garwood 's excellent tutorial on Music Theory - The entire course comprises of 11 video lessons.

https://banjobenclark.com/courses/introduction-to-music-theory?from_track=beginner-banjo

3 Likes

Thank y’all for replying. I’ve used a tape measure for 30+ years but am having trouble getting my ears and fingers to operate correctly. I’ll sit back down and give it another go. I’ll also look at the Mr_G’s videos :notes:

1 Like

Sorry, I was terribly wrong. A normal measure consists of eight 1/8th notes, to double the time you would play sixteen 1/8th notes. Sorry for the confusion.

Again, thank you Zach.

1 Like

Hey Ben, What is that banjo you are using in this lesson?

2 Likes

I believe that’s a Granada copy made by Davis – he’ll have to correct me if I’m wrong, though. :banjo: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like