Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the lesson: Intro to Music Theory Part 8- Music Keys

Wow! I learned to drive that car when I was 10. Was yours a 4 speed on the column with reverse to the back and down? Our Fiat died sitting in our back yard from rust and disuse. I spent a summer trying to revive it when I was 23 years old, but failed (ran out of time and still needed a timing chain). Still, it brings back fond memories.

Jack, that fastback is sweet. I had a 65 Corvair that also had an unusual auto trans, a small 2 speed lever on the dashboard.

Mike, I remember the X1/9 and fell in love (inspite of being a previous Fiat owner). They were a cool, if tiny, car.

1 Like

@DrGuitar1, yep that was a 4-speed on the column! Seems like the only difference is the steering wheel placement and in our case it was always placed on the “right” side of the vehicle!! I’m not sure I ever drove fiat, maybe once or twice, but I have driven a very similar type of car ( a little bit bulky one though) which was called Ambassador. But yes Fiat brings back lot of good memories from my college days as 3 in our small class had this fiat!

John, I like the background. What do you is the most interesting thing about being Indian?

Hi Jack, I never really thought about that. Let me see. In India, we have one of the oldest civilizations - Indus valley civilization from 3300 BC to 1300 BC. We have several languages, religion, culture, habits etc. The language I speak Tamil is probably the oldest language in the whole wide world! In Tamil, there is a lot of literature. This Tamil state I’m from in India is a very peace loving state, very hospitable people, very firm in our values. In the modern day, we are not the worst even if we are not the best in the world in terms of technology. :slight_smile: I think we are keeping the right balance!

Thank for sharing John. I always love to hear people’s story’s.

:slight_smile:

Well done! That’s the best explanation I’ve seen of key signatures.

1 Like

Conclusion: The brain created music and therefore created its own problems.

I’ll never understand music theory. I can’t believe this is just the introduction…

1 Like

Hey Trev! Welcome to the board. You’ll get it. It’s really just all about how 1 note relates to other notes. That’s theory in a nutshell. Most musicians keep learning theory their whole lives. I remember a friend of Paul Buskirk (who was literally in the music industry his entire life) telling me that Paul was still figuring out new theory in his last stages of his life.

Try working with the circle of 5ths to see if that helps. Note that clockwise, it’s the circle of 5ths, but counter-clockwise, it’s the circle of 4ths. So that one tool can show you the 1 - 4 - 5 of any key signature at a simple glance.

Keep coming back and asking questions. This is a great place to learn.

3 Likes