Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the lesson: Intro to Music Theory Part 5- Dotted & Tied Notes

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/intro-to-music-theory-part-5-dotted-tied-notes-beginner

It’s time to untuck our shirts and swing it a bit.

Correction: at 00:20 you describe the “bottom 4” as beats-per-measure (and circle it). Beats-per-measure is the TOP number.

2 Likes

Nobody’s perfect, I thought I was the only one who did this.
Roger Porter

2 Likes

Wow…is all this necessary to play the banjo. I feel like I have to be a music major in order to progress with my instrument???

2 Likes

welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum Ray It’s good to know a little music theory and this lesson explains a lot. Take your time to go through it, you’ll find the benefits later on.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum Ray!

Understanding a whole bunch of theory is not a requirement to playing, but it helps a lot when you understand what you’re doing.

Some knowledge on the subject also helps greatly when trying to communicate with others

2 Likes

Well, thanks you guys for the warm welcome to the class. I am new to any form of instrument. Just a bluegrass fanatic that would love to be able to play a few tunes for myself and some friends. I hope that before I get to the rolls and fretting I’m not burnt out and loose my enthusiasm for even giving it a thought to try. Once I start something though it is not in me to quit.:exploding_head:

4 Likes

Ray, don’t worry about absorbing all the theory stuff right away, or all at once. I’ts just good to watch through that stuff…don’t get hung up on it… like most things, it takes a while to absorb. maybe just watch through lesson a day, then play something.

Go ahead and get into a lesson that you will play something on…mix it up…There is nothing set in stone here.

I’d suggest you go ahead and jump to the “Chords” or “rolls” lesson and try that…you can always come back and run through the earlier lessons at your leisure, or when you need to find something you need to understand better that you may have skipped over.

Above all…have fun!

3 Likes

Welcome, @rtaylor! As the folks said, don’t let it overwhelm you and I’ll teach you as you go.

3 Likes

Why is it that ever time I try to learn Music Theory it feels like the lesson is in a foreign language. I really have no idea what this lesson is about…I need some explanation on how this applies to banjo playing.

2 Likes

Hi Peter welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum , It might seem this is all gobbledy gook right now but once you get into a banjo solo lesson that employs dotted & tied notes all this will be clear as day.

Essentially a dotted note is a fraction longer in duration than a regular note. A tied note links two notes together but you only play the first note of the tied note sequence.

1 Like