Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the lesson: Inside Cabin Camp: Jam Survival with Kristin Benson

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/inside-cabin-camp-jam-survival-with-kristin-benson-beginner

You’re in a jam. You know the song…or, do you? What do you do? How do you survive? Kristin Scott Benson and I discuss grabbing the low hanging fruit in order to participate and contribute in all sorts of musical situations!

6 Likes

What kind of bass is that? It is really pretty. Great job Banjo Ben and Kristin Benson! Great lesson.

1 Like

Wow! Such a blessing to see you teach together bringing such wisdom and practicality to the subject. I feel better about jumping into a local jam now after yawls help! Thank you for sharing Kristen with those of us who couldn’t attend live!!
Larry

3 Likes

I play in old-time jam sessions (no solos, often instruments not common to bluegrass jams, we step on each other). Usually when Scruggs rolls get mentioned I lose all interest. I play clawhammer, two-finger or a mix. However comma… There are clawhammer and two-finger rolls. Thanks to this workshop, I’m going to stop neglecting them, start practicing in earnest and using them. This was a good and useful workshop, even for non-bluegrassers. Yes, we play a bunch of the same songs, but it is different.

3 Likes

I don’t know, will have to ask Sarah!

What terrific set of videos. So much good instruction here. And the part about being kind is so very true. It can be so easy to derail someone’s progress with a thoughtless comment at a vulnerable time.
The conversation you folks had here should be heard by players of all levels.

1 Like

This lesson is gold!

Love the part about “main idea notes”

That is a lot less intimidating starting point than feeling like you are supposed to listen to a tune and suddenly understand the whole melody.

1 Like

Great lesson this week! It’s good to know it’s ok to just roll through the chords that are not of the key until you get back to familiar ground.

Another great lesson with lots of golden nuggets!

Wow1 how on earth did I miss this lesson when it was first posted. This is just amazing stuff @BanjoBen & Kirstin.

thankyou

1 Like

Great set of lessons thanks

3 Likes