Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the lesson: Inside Cabin Camp: Harmony Singing Workshop

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/inside-cabin-camp-harmony-singing-workshop-beginner

A brief theory overview of basic harmony, then we put our skills to the test as a group singing “You Are My Sunshine”. This is from spring 2024 Cabin Camp on the Texas farm!

7 Likes

I’ve never done harmony before but this was super interesting. I learned what harmony is and how to create it. My ear isn’t as evolved as it needs to be to hear the parts yet but this was a start.

4 Likes

Duuuuuuuuude! Please do a course on harmony for your members! There are a lot of us who have struggled with this for years! (I mean a long course with your sisters with lots of songs.)

2 Likes

Interesting lesson guy’s

1 Like

Hi @TP11 Todd welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum. Hopefully the " Duuuuuuuuude! " and his sisters Katy Lou and Penny Lea can fit in your request.

1 Like

I’m with you if there!

Wow, thanks to the Clark Family singers for posting this session! I knew it (harmony singing) existed, but how to do it has been a complete mystery to me. I might even try it now. -d.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for this lesson. I have a lot to learn.

2 Likes

Same as the comment above! I really enjoyed this lesson and the in-person harmony workshop with y’all at the “Banjo Only” 2022 Camp. I’d love more from you and the ladies on this topic!!! I sing a lot of low harmonies, but I know I’m jumping between the proper baritone and bass parts and subbing other low harmonies in the mix - particularly challenging is not doubling an octave below the melody instead of actual harmonies.

3 Likes

Great lesson. My exposure to harmony was only in grade school many years ago. I had no idea we were singing chords in three part harmony. Then today I was listening to some old 60s music and the Hollie’s “Bus Stop” was playing and their harmony seemed to fit the theory you were explaining. Check it out. Really beautiful harmony, now I have a new thing to listen for in music.

2 Likes